F-4K Phantom 892 SQN Royal Navy

Thanks Guy's,

Being a Macaw he is into destruction rather then contrition. He has the run of the house so he tends to grab things, take then some were quiet and destroy it.

Anyway I been at it with the Alclads and apart from me scratching a bit of when unmasking I'm very pleased with the results.

The photos don't do it justice really.

GB_11.jpg

GB_13.jpg

GB_12.jpg

I used stainless steel for the main colour and Steel for the darker areas, Then I sprayed some burnt metal to give some heat stains.

:fish:

• Like 1

Decaling done

Not the bet of decals as there very thick for the scale and very slightly of register. If any one else is doing one I would recommend some replacements.

GB_14.jpg

GB_15.jpg

Dose any one know what they carried at see. I take it they only carrier a centre line 600 gallon tank and not the wing tanks as I have yet to find a photo of one carrying all three for day to day operations. I know they would Carrie all three for deploying to too and from the ship but what about day to day load outs? Would they carrier 4 AIM-9 and 4 AIM-7? or something else.

• Like 1

Phil,

Maybe a replacement would carry all three tanks, if it were to meet the "boat" at sea (800+miles), but day to day ops would only carry the centreline, or the wingtanks, not both. A loadout during this period would be AIM-9Gs, or Ds, and AIM-7Es, 9 Limas came after they transferred to the RAF. How many you want is up to you. RN Phantoms could carry up to 6 1000lbers or 6 SNEB rocket launchers on the inboard pylons, as they carried a strengthened version of the TER, as well as cluster munitions. So you could do one with the wingtanks, 4 1000lb bombs on the inner wings, 2 AIM-7Es in the rear wells and 3 1000lb bombs on the centreline. Then again, Phantoms being the useful and adaptive creatures they are carried everything, in all combinations. I say just do what you think, chances are a Phantom somewhere will have carried it!

HTH, Joel

Looking divine Phil, Can't wait to see that canopy unmasked , love the subtle weathering on the underside as well.

Hi Gary,

Very simple on the bottom, a full wash with my gray dried and wiped off, then the dark brown on where you want it let it dry and then with a dry bit of kitchen roll rub it in. It take off most but give a great dirty look. The top side had a wash of the dark brown and then the gray for dirty and faded areas. :)

Now I'm having trouble with the little yellow marks around the canopies :huh:

Now I'm having trouble with the little yellow marks around the canopies :huh:

Ta for the tip - might give that a go. Did you not get the "cut away" decals in the kit? Why not cut a very thin strip of Tamiya tape up into small sections and replicate them that way?

Did you not get the "cut away" decals in the kit? Why not a very thin strip of Tamiya tape up into small sections and replicate them that way?

No decals for the cut ares :( I don't no if my eyes work on thing that small. Come back 1/48s all is forgiven :lol:

Well it's a job and a half but I've gone for Gary idea with the Tamiya tape

GB_16.jpg

Now before I spend the next hour on the other canopy what do you think?

No forget it I hate it!

Right plan 'B' or is the 'H' seeing as I've tried painting it on, was even worse cut up decal , don't ask, rivet wheel with yellow paint rolled on,

Then it need some mirrors

Phil,

Which ever route you choose, remember these "dashes" are positioned right where the glass meets the frame. Probably a bit higher than you have them there.

I have some decals that would probably work for this - Yellow dashes from a 1.72 kit. PM me yoir address and I'll post them off to you straight away.

Thanks for the offer Gary, But I've gone for a solid line in Tamiya tape.

DSCF4090.jpg

I think it came out OK.

I'm still learning how to do all the little bits on 1/72 that I did on 1/48's and above. Lots of the little things you do on 1/48s wont work on 1/72s :D