F-4K Phantom 892 SQN Royal Navy

Well I have made it to the office and made a start on my Phantom. I was going to do the Yellow Bird markings But a few of you had already mentioned doing it so I've gone for the only operational Phantom unit 892 SQN.

It was originally intended that two operational Naval squadrons should be equipped, one each for HMS Ark Royal and HMS Eagle. However, for political reasons, the refitting of Eagle was cancelled so 892 Sqn was the only operational one formed, and operated these Phantoms from March 1969 to December 1978.

Here's the kit

GB_1.jpg

I have added some fuse wire to liven things up a bit

GB_3.jpg

Next I have put the intakes on but the cooler intakes on the nose needed to be shaped in as you can see in the next pic

GB_4.jpg

Now I'm of to make the HUD and liven up the area after being inspired by Gary's great work on his.

Nice to see another toom on the go, and an F4K to boot!

If HMS Eagle Had got its Phantom squadron I wouldn't have worked on F-4Ks (FG1) in the RAF. :closedeyes:

I think that Revell or Airfix could do with doing a new tool british F4 in 1/72, as the fujimi kits whilst excellent are just too hard to get hold of.

keep up the progress reports Phil.

Cheers,

troffa

Whats the kits number Phil? Early kits had the 2 fuselage auxilliary door's in the wrong place, closed lower speedbrake and dodgy Spey burner cans...whereas later kits had all of these recitified. AND well worth looking out for Quickboost MB Mk 7 seats too.........

I think that Revell or Airfix could do with doing a new tool british F4 in 1/72, as the fujimi kits whilst excellent are just too hard to get hold of.

Well now that Models For Sale are importing Fujimi kits perhaps they will become more readily available.

I sold the last of mine a couple of years back when I made the switch to 1/48 scale, now I'm concentrating on 1/32 but I doubt we'll ever get a British Phantom in that scale so I might just hang on to my Hasegawa kits.

now I'm concentrating on 1/32 but I doubt we'll ever get a British Phantom in that scale so I might just hang on to my Hasegawa kits

Not if the Trumpeter rumours are true.......

Well now that Models For Sale are importing Fujimi kits perhaps they will become more readily available.

Sadly Ant, I understand that Fujimi aren't producing the "tombs" anymore- I suspect those that "Model's For Sale" have are left over stock.

BUT...someone, somewhere MUST have the tool's - be nice if someone could get a hold of them.....

Nice start Phil - I'm watching this one closely :) *

*Actually I watch all Flory work closely because its ruddy marvellous :D

Nice one Phil - I know what you mean about those nose intakes, those and the main intakes are the only dubious parts of the whole kit fit-wise.

Nice to know it wasn't just me.

Steve.

They produced one last year - Alcock and Browne colour scheme - but mucked it up by including the F-4K armament/nosewheel detail

(And guess who's got a few "in stock"!!!)

BUT Dave, the armament is fine for a Fighter - Sparrows & 'winders ( though the latter's of dubious accuracy on the FGR2 I think) and Vulcan...and how hard is it to snip off the links on the nose gear?

In fact this is a better option for a 56 Sqn A/C rather than the SNEB pods in the "Sharks Teeth" issue.

(And guess who's got a few "in stock"!!!)

Is that 'in stock' as in for sale or in the stash Bill?

Just a small update. The cockpit done and the HUD seeing as the kit doesnt have one.

GB_5.jpg

Phantastique workmanship as ever Phil.....however (ain't there always a smartarsed "however"..)

There were no F4K/FG1 "Twin-stickers", these were restricted to some FGR2's in the XTxxx range of serials, and it looks like you have the rear tub, thus equipped.

ALSO the rear right hand consul was more or less non existant. The side wall was flush (the FGR2 did have a small consul).

But..its your model...

:whistling:

• Like 1

Bill you shout away, there's no such thing as a smart bottom.

I'm flying blind on this one so please shout out when I'm going off track.

Twin stick will be removed thanks :D the side console is covered by the side wall, the starboard panel and the breakers on the port side just I got carried away on the painting

The other thing is did it Carry the 600 gallon wing tanks at sea, as I'm missing one?

Next the colour The kit calls for gunship gray, I don't think so!

Ask me any thing of a Hornet, Eagle and the US grays and I'm there :S

OK I pulled the rear stick and check the joins ( if you don't no, I just brush on a coat of acrylic black, let it dry for 5 Min's and sand it off. works very well on small cracks and imperfections) A little bit of re scribing......Dam, run out of Dino tape..... and ready to attach the canopies.

GB_6.jpg

GB_8.jpg

GB_7.jpg

Good tip using acrylic paint as filler there Phil, although I can't imagine much would stick on a kit of this quality

Coming along very nicely!

john

Small update

I have masked up the canopies and put then on I use Tacky glue it's a PVA very grippy and drys completely clear.

Here's the pre shading.

GB_9.jpg

and here's the main paint done. It's the Vallajo 053 Dark Sea green but is the match for 36118 Gunship grey I like it because it's more blue then gray and that's the look I'm after.

I then added a few drops of white to the paint and thinned it a bit more and went round all the panels with it to give some tonal variation.

GB_10.jpg

The light was bad so I had to use the flash.

Oh and I have found out were my missing parts have been ending up :rant:

milo.jpg

The little sod has been in the office and helped his self

• Like 1