B-2 Spirit - Testors 1/72

Skii

A full load of JDAMS would be good though .... :o

EDIT: and, numpty here just realised that your masterpiece is in 1/72 of course :doh:

Edited by PHaTNesS

Hey Skii...that's absolutely blooooooody marvellous!!!!!!

your work is top notch,outstanding!!!!

I have a question though....What did you use for the grids around in the cockpit???

Are they homemade or there's a set around of random grids?

I'm desperately looking for those too...

Cheers and fantastic work again!

I have a question though....What did you use for the grids around in the cockpit???

Are they homemade or there's a set around of random grids?

I'm desperately looking for those too...

Hey Jack :)

The mesh squares are metal mesh which I got from www.Hiroboy.com for the radiators on a 1/20 car build, the grid-work on the cockpit floor in the rear half of the cockpit is just styrene card cut into strips and aranged that way.

Latest progress

Firstly I've faired in the cockpit glass, I'm going to do this now as it isn't something I want to do when the finished fuselage halves are sealed, I don't want any sanding dust or milliput to get into the finished cockpit. The rather thick perspex was an ok fit but some milliput around the seal followed by copious amounts of CA glue, followed by 600, 1200, 1500 grit wet paper all the way through to micromesh and finally Ted Taylors 'final touch' polish ensures a seamless cockpit glass with near perfect clarity. Running your finger across the finished cabin you can't tell which is glass and which is fuselage :)

Also the 2 prominent ridges at the front base of the windscreen are straight in the kit and should be curved, they were sanded away and replaced with stryrene card cut to shape and sanded to fit.

frontglass.jpg

I'm building a block 30 Spirit which has an Astro-Navigation compass on the port side of the aircraft, firstly the hole was drilled out and a length of clear sprue-rod inserted and glued into position..

clearrod.jpg

..then cut away and dremmelled down until nearly flush with the fuselage surface - finally sanded down ,micromeshed and polished.

ASTROnav.jpg

Here is the front cockpit coaming - this was dremmeled out as the kit part is a little too big, then lengths of stretched sprue arranged and glued into position to more resemble the real thing - finally a splash of black paint.

coaming.jpg

:)

Hey Jack :)

The mesh squares are metal mesh which I got from www.Hiroboy.com for the radiators on a 1/20 car build, the grid-work on the cockpit floor in the rear half of the cockpit is just styrene card cut into strips and aranged that way.

Thanks so much skii!!!!

I found them on the site and after that i started searching around and find other great option from my online retailer...

there are nice sets from eduard as well and from hasegawa and other japanese brands!

the eduard one though is easier for me cause I can buy them directly from germany...

Ill buy them and see how cool they are for doing such nice works!!!!!

Cheers and again stunning model,hope to see more WIP's soon,veeeery soon!

John you really should let Mike Reeves at TwoMikes Resin cast up some of this cockpit work :o

PS...what is this Ted Taylor polish that you speak of?? :huh:

Well myself and Mike have had dialogue already about this, we're very keen, but I'm really scratching my head as to the practicality of scratchbuilding something that can be a) casted easily and b ) available to joe public as a replacement bomb-bay, particularly when so much surgery needs doing to the kit to give it 2 bomb bays of equal size. In short , not nearly as easy as you think !

Ask Ted about his polish ;)

Bit more progress - started on the CSRL's :) The kit only has one open bomb bay and the CSRL in the kit is about half the length it should be ! These were made from some bits of plastic rod I found around the house.

CSRL2.jpg

CSRL.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Andy :)

A little more progress - here is the cockpit with a splash of paint, I've added some eduard IP panels which are a slight improvement over the kit decals

paintedpit-1.jpg

I've made a start plumbing the bomb bays, and test fitting the JDAMS (thanks Dave :) ) onto the rotary launchers, the JDAMS each have a small hole drilled and fit onto one of 8 pins on the CSRL, (and yes all 8 fit onto one launcher and still freely rotate in the bomb bay!)

plumbing.jpg

Also I've cut out a crew entry hatch along side the front U/C bay, with this not modelled in the kit I've had to use photographs, masking tape and dead reckoning as a guide, I'm fairly happy with the result so far.

Ta peeps :)

more work - just boring small details m'fraid.

First up, after cutting the crew entry hatchway, I've created the passageway to the flight deck, one wall of which is the ladder.

Firstly I built the passageway in 2 halves for ease of painting

hatch1.jpg

When assembled the bottom is shaped to exactly match the curved underside area at the hatch entrance

hatch2.jpg

and test fitted in place

hatch3.jpg

From the outside you can see the benefit of the extra detail

hatch4.jpg

Also, whilst pondering the next stage of the build I decided to tackle this problem - like the B-1 Lancer , The B-2 has a pair of guards that swing down when the bomb bay doors open to protect the dropping ordanance from the sudden airflow , however the eduard set only supplies a single pair (as the kit only models 1 bomb bay)

guards.jpg

The challenge was to make another identical pair.....

So firstly I sprayed the eduard pieces against a sheet of thin styrene card, the result is this template

guards2.jpg

Then after some careful cutting and drilling (using a tiny drill bit mounted in a Xacto handle)

guards3.jpg

this gives you some idea of size..

guards4.jpg

more soon :)

Exquisite build, I've got one in the loft waiting for me to pluck up the courage to think about starting it.

One question though, I haven't been able to confirm this in my references but doesn't the B2 use "clips" to carry iron bombs with the rotary launcher being used to carry cruise missiles?

Exquisite build, I've got one in the loft waiting for me to pluck up the courage to think about starting it.

One question though, I haven't been able to confirm this in my references but doesn't the B2 use "clips" to carry iron bombs with the rotary launcher being used to carry cruise missiles?

Hi Richard

this page explains the weapon load better

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/b-2.htm

for Mk82 500lb bombs the clips are winched into place in the bomb bay roof, for larger ordinance such as the 1000lb or 2000lb JDAM or cruise missiles the rotary launcher is used.

for Mk82 500lb bombs the clips are winched into place in the bomb bay roof

Aren't the "clips" compatible with the rotary launcher pivots? To my mind they look like a one-third section of a cylinder, and they mount at each end along their central axis in the CRL mounting points. I tried to build one for my B-1 and they look like this:

The conventional "clip" is on the left, the other two are the CRLs

23-1.jpg

Hi Al, you might well be right, I have the squadron B-2 spirit book showing racks that appear to fix to the bomb bay roof, but it isn't really clear enough to tell, those B-1 weapons bays are awesome, are they aftermarket kits or something ?

Hi Al, you might well be right, I have the squadron B-2 spirit book showing racks that appear to fix to the bomb bay roof, but it isn't really clear enough to tell, those B-1 weapons bays are awesome, are they aftermarket kits or something ?

No somehow i managed them myself... don't ask me how, must have been a flash of inspiration. It's in bits now anyway.

So, after that brief interlude, on with the main event!