B-2 Spirit - Testors 1/72

Skii

Some work on the cockpit this week. The kit cockpit is simple and has a solid wall immediately behind the fairly basic Aces seats - In reality this should extend further aft up to the bomb-bay wall, this area containing bits and bobs to make the crews experience on a long mission a little more comfortable. The best (and only) reference I have found for this area so far is this :

http://www.rightcoastrecording.com/images/B2.mov

Here is the cockpit before - as you can see the kit affair is pretty simple

Cockpitbefore.jpg

So here is where I'm currently at - I've drilled out the rear cockpit wall and installed a floor, as well as what looks like either a storage or life support system on the right. I've used 2 true-details ACES II seats and used a length of 2 mil evergreen railing either side to represent the guide rails for the seats. The far rear will have a bulkhead wall with cabling, ducting and steps the the upper-rear escape hatch.

Cockpitstage1.jpg

:)

Looking good!!! I don;t know how you people detail with such precision in 72nd scale. I can barely do it in 32nd..let alon in my usual scale of 48th!!!

Keeping an eye on this one fore sure.

Sean

Having built that kit once upon a time, I am in AWE at what you've managed to accomplish with it so far!

Here is the nearly finished 'pit' , I've extended the length of the cockpit by 5mil immediately behind the seats using styrene card, this is to make room for the stairway and hatch immediately behind the pilots seat. everything has been scratched out of plastic card and fuse wire - the rear bulkhead has a crew escape ladder to the left which is blu-tacked in position at the moment but will be a few mil higher on final assembly :)

b2cockpit1.jpg

b2cockpit2.jpg

Looks great John!

Not to be a spoilsport or anything, but have you checked to make sure there's room for it? I'd hate to think the bomb bays interfere with it :wacko:

Yep, approx 5 mil between the rear bulkhead and the bomb bay wall mate ;)

Thankyou peeps :) Whilst it would be nice most this detail will not be visible when she's all sealed up, but there will be something there for those peering in :)

Whilst it would be nice most this detail will not be visible when she's all sealed up, but there will be something there for those peering in :)

... with a telescope, and a powerful torch, and.... :hypnotised:

Superb work Skii, keep it up!

So, the escape-hatches are open for inspection :)

Hi Martin

nahh to be honest mate I like my aircraft to look like they are in a realistic ground state, not particularly a fan of the every possible panel removed look , the crew ladder hatch will be open, bomb bay doors and undercarriage, and possibly the auxiliary air intakes above the engine (although doubtful these would be in an open position on a static B-2 )

A full load of JDAMS would be good though .... :o

nahh to be honest mate I like my aircraft to look like they are in a realistic ground state, not particularly a fan of the every possible panel removed look , the crew ladder hatch will be open, bomb bay doors and undercarriage, and possibly the auxiliary air intakes above the engine (although doubtful these would be in an open position on a static B-2 )
I like that approach :D
A full load of JDAMS would be good though .... :o
So, you'll just need, oh, 8 Hase Set V. Or 4 of them, take the 8 JDAMS that'll give and use the bodies from the GBU-24s as a base to scratch your own BLU-JDAMs :)