South Carolina ANG F-16... (now Illinois ANG!)

Right, new project time. Some of you are going to scoff at this, but I'm doing an grey F-16 thingy, and in 1/72... With all the models I've built over the years, I don't think I've ever built a serious F-16. I built (if you can call it that!) a Matchbox F-16 that was used to repeatedly 'fly' out of the bedroom window out into the garden. Hopefully this one gets some better treatment!

I've got an old combo that I've had around for years that I've always intended to do. It is the Hasegawa 1/72 F-16A with Superscale sheet 72-608, which contains a South Carolina ANG mount from Gunsmoke 85. It'll be straight from the box apart from a Quickboost resin seat.

Here's the decal sheet...

MS72-608.jpg

I've done a little bit of work this afternoon and done the cockpit and the seat. All I can say is that the Quickboost resin seat looks absolutely lovely when it's all painted up, and I've really made myself chuffed with the end result...

89ddafc2.jpg

f005b58c.jpg

and here it is dropped into the 'office' which looks very basic with the details on the seat!!

96a9d32c.jpg

Shouldn't take too long to knock this one out...

Karl.

Edited by dswoofie

Bloody 'ell Karl youre a bit good at this ear modelling lark matey :worthy::thumbsup2: Ok I dont like them thar F-TeenyBoppa's but for a 72nd this ones looking might fine :goodjob:

Bexy

The ACES seat looks amazing.....shame about the cockpit tub hase provides!!!!

Thanks, I'm well chuffed with the way the seat came out. Got a bit :hypnotised: trying to paint it up though!

Yes the Hasegawa tub is basic, but then most kits are. I suppose I could have added a bit of detail to it, but it's really only a 'quick' build.

Karl.

Anyway, I've got over the stick thing. As it's 1/72 it's hardly visible in there, the photo's make it easier to see!

It's been a fair while since I build a Hasegawa kit, and I'd forgotten how nice they can be, both in detail and it building. This one is so simple and really falls together. I've now done all of the construction, and it's ready for the paint shop. One odd point of the kit was that the tanks had raised panel lines, whereas everything else on the sprue had recessed... I've rescribed them even though I hate trying to do this on curved surfaces.

Here's the latest view...

e9aade7b.jpg

and the bottom with the lighter colour already on there...

5582b333.jpg

Karl.

Anyway, I've got over the stick thing. As it's 1/72 it's hardly visible in there, the photo's make it easier to see!
I was quite surprised that I was able to spot it actually! :lol:

Coming along nicely Karl :goodjob:

Right, as you may have noticed, the thread name has changed... I found out that the F-16 that I was planning on modelling had the old small tailplains on it and was a block 05... the kit I'd got was effectively a block 15 with the newer larger tailplanes.... Luckily the Illinois ANG one on the decal sheet was a block 15 (never thought I'd be bothering with this F-16 block business!!!!)

It's out of the paint shop now and has had a coat of Klear. I'm just waiting to start the decalling now...

dfe1cec3.jpg

Getting there now!

Karl.

Had a bit more of a bash at the F-16 today and managed to get the decalling done OK...

5e9abe9f.jpg

I've just given it a splodge of Promodeller Dark wash, and it's drying as I type...

2c1d4337.jpg

Going along swimmingly at the moment, although just waiting for something to go wrong with it!!!

Karl.

Right then, a bit of a rush today but I've finished my F-16. I'm going away for the weekend tomorrow and wanted to come back to a clean workbench...

There is still a little work to do to it, but as far as anything it's complete. I've lost the HUD along the way somewhere, I noticed earlier today that it's no longer there... should really have left it off until the very end!! When I get back after the weekend I'll be mooching on the floor to see if I can find it :hypnotised: I'm also going to add another 2 AIM-9's to the outer pylons, and 6 Mk.82's on the second pylons (3 each side on TER's)

Here it is anyway... I'll follow up with a proper 'Ready for Inspection' thread once I've done some better photos...

881e30c1.jpg

12ed60fb.jpg

844eeddb.jpg

Karl.