FGR 2 Phantom

Building OOB with a pair of Legend resin ejector seats.

My second ever jet and my first experience of resin seats. The first thing I did was spend 2 hours painting the seats, then using wire to create the loops on the top of the seats.

I then sprayed the pit, painted the instrument panels. For the radar screens I painted them white, then filled the screen with a mixture of blue ink and kleer, which gives a nice look. I then ran some light Promodeller wash around the panels on the instrument, and drybrushed the dials. Finally i ran some thinned black india ink over the panels.

As normal comments welcome, and in particular any tips for this kit - I do feel a bit lost with Jets.

Seats.jpg

Cockpit-1.jpg

Cockpit-2.jpg

Cockpit-3.jpg

Looks amazing mate!!!

If you dont mind one advice!

Why do you do a pin wash around the seat belts! They look so nice and crisp as a detail...i bet the wash will bring everything out!!!

Good idea - a dark brown me thinks rather than black ?

I will do that today and post some more pictures, as I have the day off.

Ok - done some more this morning.

I have given the seat belts an ink wash, which has brought them out some more.

I have joined the fuselage halves and spreyed the intakes white. I then smoothed over the join along the top of the fuselage, with some Mr disolved putty ( why is everything from Gunze Mr <insert product here> ? )

P1010184.jpg

I then added the wings, and the intake covers which left a slight ridge / gap

P1010191.jpg

P1010192.jpg

After filling, and a lot of sanding, and some filling and some sanding I have got these, which I am happy with

P1010193.jpg

P1010194.jpg

A quick question to those who have done more jets than me, I can happily rescribe the panel lines that have been sanded down on the top of the fuselage, but what is the simplest way of adding back the rivets - a blunt pin in a pin vice ? wouldn't that raise a lip that wound need to be sanded down again.

Comments welcomed

Peter

Edited by Peter Marshall

Some more done today.

I have rescribed the panel lines, and redone the rivets using a small drill in a pin vice, then sanding them back a bit. I have also sprayed the red interior, and the white wheel bays. I masked the wheel bays and the intakes off with bluetack.

Rescribe1.jpg

Airbrake.jpg

I then masked the canopy with Parafilm, and attached the canopies using PVA

CockpitMask.jpg

I have then completed all of the pre-shading, which I have left to dry

Preshading.jpg

Edited by Peter Marshall

She's coming along nicely Peter.

I always freak at the preshade session, looks really messy and like its all gone pear shaped, then the top coat goes on and normal service is resumed.

Looking forward to your continuing progress

Nice work peter! - your build is almost identical to my current F-4J build - those vents on the nose are a pain!!!

Are you sure the airbrake interior is red? IIRC the interior is white, while only the brake itself is red... unless it was different with Brit Phantoms...

f4f_8.jpg

GEAR-S~1.jpg

You are right, I can fix it tomorrow it will be a simple fix as the doors are only bluetacked in.

Thanks.

Peter

almost there mate!

What is the parafilm?

Parafilm M - it's a laboratory film - stretch plastic with a wax coating. Dead easy to use for masking, you stretch the film, then put it wax side down onto the cockpit, then rub with your finger. The heat from your finger softens the wax, so the film sticks to the cockpit. You then trim the frames using a sharp scalpel blade.

It has the advantage over tape that you can see through it and it stretches, so if you make a small mistake you can stretch it some more.

You can buy it either on ebay, from a laboratory supplies or from here, where a roll is about £6 with postage.

More progress - I spent yesterday spraying the topcoats, and this morning I fitted the undercarriage and the air brakes, with a measure of dark wash to dirty them up.

TopCoatTop.jpg

TopCoatBottom.jpg

I have spotted a potential problem with the decals. The roundels for the 56 sqd the blue appears to be light green. Any ideas as to whether these will look right on the aircraft, or suggestions as to the best way to fix this problem.

Thanks.

Peter

Ok - I have got the decals done. These have to have been the worst decals I have had to deal with - the colour seems to be off a little, they fragmented really easily, wrinkle if you look at them harshly, and they took forever to release from the paper.

I have discovered that I really hate stencilling on jets - must have spent 5 hours putting all of these decals on. I am in the final stretch now, I have put the cockpit and the seats on, attached the sidewinder rails and the fuel tanks. I have given it a coat of Klear so that it is ready for weathering.

Decalled1.jpg

Decalled2.jpg

Decalled4.jpg

And my favorite view

Decalled3.jpg

The only other thing, does anyone know the easiest way of getting hold of a few 1/48 sidewinders, as the kit doesn't provide any, and the sidewinder rails do look a bit bare.

Thanks for looking

Peter

Hey Peter, firstly nice Phantom dude! Secondly Sidewinders, well you could buy Hasegawa's weapon set or buy a kit (cheaply) which includes a nice set of 'winders or if you're feeling adventurous you could make your own!!