Thirsty Merlin...

Troffa

Hi all,

Thought you might like to see these shots of an AW101 during its recent Air to Air refuling trials, carried out in support of the USAF "CSARX" bid.

YK6R0135.jpg

YK6R0109.jpg

YK6R0054.jpg

Both BERP III and BERP IV blades were used during these trials, using an Italian air force C130. Fuel was transferred on the first hook up.

Cheers,

Troffa

This has already been shown! I'm surprised Augusta-Westland released these photos, but non-the less, great pics of a 1st for British Helicopter industry & lets hope they win the CSARX order!

Dave

Guest Drewe
This has already been shown! I'm surprised Augusta-Westland released these photos, but non-the less, great pics of a 1st for British Helicopter industry & lets hope they win the CSARX order!

Dave

A-W didn't initially release them Dave. Copies of them were sent to RSV in Italy as a courtesy gesture, and they were initially put up on the Italian Air Force website. THe rest is history. A-W didn't finance the trials, and all the photos etc. were to be part of a bug L-M presentation. After that , well, why not release them? Oh well!

well, if it's good enough to be used as the shaved chimp's transport, you'd hope it was good enough for the rest of the septics.

what are the american entries for the competition btw?

A-W didn't initially release them Dave. Copies of them were sent to RSV in Italy as a courtesy gesture, and they were initially put up on the Italian Air Force website. THe rest is history. A-W didn't finance the trials, and all the photos etc. were to be part of a bug L-M presentation. After that , well, why not release them? Oh well!

Thanks Drewe, i had'nt realised!

Dave

well, if it's good enough to be used as the shaved chimp's transport, you'd hope it was good enough for the rest of the septics.

what are the american entries for the competition btw?

Well, the competition was won by the Latest CH-47 variant, but it's all up in the air again - other was the S-92

I would have thought the CH-47 hasnt got the agility... certainly that was one of the reasons cited for withdrawing the AH-47 in Vietnam (iirc)... looking at the pics though, the Merlin doesnt half look like a HH-3 Jolly Green Giant. or is it just me?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...GREEN_GIANT.png

I would have thought the CH-47 hasnt got the agility...

It all comes down to politics, and you know we are not allowed to mention that :analintruder:

i was at Westlands on a course, the day the CSARX winner was announced and as if by coincidence, there was a RAF Chinook under going Bowman trials at the airfield! just to rub it in eh?