Since the F117 is no more.........

Fmk.6john

Saw her at RIAT 2006, what a wierd and wonderfull aircraft.

f11709ho2.jpg

f11712fk2.jpg

f11710wn2.jpg

f11714ee3.jpg

f11708sx8.jpg

f11702kl5.jpg

f11701tt3.jpg

f11705yz9.jpg

f11706md9.jpg

Comments welcome,

John.

• Like 1

I can remember when this aircraft was a big secret and was beyond cutting edge. Now theyre phased out?

Man, thats a real bummer. Its as if some movie star youve loved your whole life has just passed.

Makes you feel you're next...

Nice pics John, I especially like the one just as the 'chute pops!

If I can take the liberty of posting in your thread, here's a couple I took of the static Stealth that illustrates a couple of modelling points.

Note the asymmetrical displacement of the control surfaces...

IMG_9225.jpg

IMG_9229.jpg

And the lozenge shaped 'lump' behind the Star and bar which isn't included in the Hase' kit.

IMG_9230.jpg

I have one of these ongoing at the moment and I'm trying to incorporate theses features. The other thing your pics illustrate is the displacement of the vertical surfaces - took a razor saw and a very deep breath to cut those off! :D

Steve.

• Like 1

Bennygman

Yous pictures must be from the Sunday, mine are on the Saturday and you can see that the static on that day had 'symetrical' droop on the control surfaces, unless the hydraulic pressure decayed unevenley over the weekend and one surface drooped further than the other.

Hell the plane has mysteries that will keep us going for ages, dd you notce that they 'bagged' the jet exhaust up with gaffer tape and black plastic?, there are some secrets that will be kept for a very long time!!.

I have read though that they are not exactly going to be retired, but keep in storage and may be used again if required, a bit like what they did to the SR-71.

John.

• Like 1

Yous pictures must be from the Sunday, mine are on the Saturday and you can see that the static on that day had 'symetrical' droop on the control surfaces, unless the hydraulic pressure decayed unevenley over the weekend and one surface drooped further than the other.

John.

You're quite right of course, I only just noticed that. So the question is how do I display mine? Perhaps best not go there in case we start another F-18 style fiasco! :D. it hadn't even occured to me that it might be a different machine on the other day, although it was towed back to the North side each evening.

I waited for ages to chat with the guys manning the gazebo, but they always had quite a crowd around. I'm sure most of the questions would have got the old, "you know what sir, I have now idea how they manage that" response :D . One of the things I wanted to ask was if the crews would convert to the Raptor (or were interested in doing so).

Steve.

• Like 1