Airfix Spitfire IIa on finals...

Note to self: 'Don't declare your Spit done and then forget to Clearfix in the rear formation lamp, the lens in the lower centre wing or the paint wear on the wing walks - doh'!

In the mean time, some interim shots - they'll be re-done again on grey card once the aforementioned bits are sorted as the blue doesn't really suit (grey'll show things like the three aerials better too).

6a.jpg

5a-1.jpg

4a-1.jpg

3a.jpg

2a.jpg

1a-1.jpg

Best regards

Steve

Very nice, excellent weathering, did you whiten out the main colours?

Hi J -

I was asked about the finish elsewhere. I posted in reply:

"To be frank, the finish is very much in accordance with Occam's Razor (at least as it is most commonly understood in the modern context...) - the simplist solutions often being the most appropriate.

The top surfaces are no more than Gunze acrylic Dark Earth and Dark Green, a very thin Tamiya acrylic black/brown mix, a little oil wash here and there and matt varnish - no pre-shade, no post shade, lightning or darkening of base colours and so on.

The Dark Earth was applied first.

The areas that would be Dark Green were lightly outlined in pencil.

The Dark Green was run in with the airbrush at 45 degrees pointing 'in' to the green areas at all times to give a fairly tight feather.

The very thin Tamiya black/brown mix (10% paint, 90% thinners) was traced into some panel lines giving light overspray either side.

Certain panel lines (mainly around the forward fuselage ) had Tamiya tape run along their edges to mask one side. Horizontal lines were masked on the top side (to conform to gravity - water runs down or down and back), while vertical lines were masked along the forward edge (to conform to airflow). The thin mix was traced along the tape's edge and into the tape itself - in straight lines and sometimes 'flicking' the spray across the tape at 90 or 45 degrees into the camo.

Now the weird part - I disengaged my concious brain (my wife questions whether it ever gets into gear at all...so do I some times ) and without thinking rapidly traced the thin spray over the Dark Earth only in a random, aimless zig-zag, up, down, side to side, all over the place non-pattern - pulling away from the surface, dodging closer - you get the idea. The key is don't think - just 'do'. Switch off the targetting computer and use The Force Luke. Anyway, can I go back to my cell now Kev?

A light wash of oils then matt varnish and it's what you see in the pic."

Thanks again.

Best regards

Steve