51 Sqn Nimrod R.1

Not wanting to high jack Mattie Bee's thread, I have started my own to show the progress I've made on my own Nimrod R.1.

I started this project last Sunday night, so all the progress you see here has taken a week.

The kit goes togeather very well, will only the normal problem areas I would expect from a kit this large.

The parts break down has been well thought out and join in areas that are quite easy to hide.

I was very pleased the way the wing forms the fuslage sides below the bubble and the fit here was excellent.

The main undercarrage legs are only half pushed in at the moment, hence the high sitting position of the model.

Filler was needed at the upper wing join and were the rear stab attach near the tail.

When I build my second kit I will pay more care in the cockpit area. The Cockpit appears to sit too low, the seats and dashboard are below the cockpit sides and can't be seen once the fuslage is closed. Next time I will raise these items to a more correct height.

As can be seen, I have filled in the windows that are blanked off on the Nimrod R.1 and have moved the starboard window about 10mm rearwards above the start of the wing. I have also filled the vents that are not present on the R.1 airframe and the hinge points of the bomb bay doors.

sideviewnimrod.jpg

Nimrodsideviewrear.jpg

undersidenimrod.jpg

rearviewnimrod.jpg

headonNimrod.jpg

upperviewNimrod.jpg

My kit had warping at the rear of the bomb bay on the fuselage parts, This is not a real problem as I'm building the R.1 and this area needs rescribing anyway, but if I was doing the MR2, this would have caused problems.

The rear closed bomb bay part appears to be a little too narrow and results in a small step were it joins the fuslage at the rear. On the other hand, the front closed bay part has an excellent fit.

undersidefilling.jpg

Nimrod R.1s do not carry the same wingtip ESM pods as the Nimrod MR2. Airfix have only provided the MR2 ESM pods so you have to replace/scratch build these items.

The Nimrod R.1 pods have domed caps at the front and rear

This is how I made mine.

I cut off the nose tip section of some WW2 bombs that I had in the spares box. I then removed the angled yellow gate sensors from the kit pods and glued the bomb noses on to the pod. A little filler and sanding and the job was done.

ESMwingpod.jpg

Very happy and really enjoying the kit and most of the contruction work is now done.

I've still got a bit of work to do on the model before primer.

I need to mark and rescribe the equipment panier and move the wing landing lights inboard.

I also have to sand/fair in the cockpit glazing and then add the other small details around the airframe before painting.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Looking good so far Shaun. Roughly what date are you doing it?

Not too sure yet, probley a Hemp/LAG but have yet to decide which roundel size/colour or which airframe.

Probley go for the large red/ dark blue roundels of the 80's.

Got my MA sheet from Hannants today, after waiting two weeks for delivery :angry:

These decals are excellent, makes me think more of why did Hornby not go to Cartograph for their decal printing. :unsure:

Shaun.

"Rear Right hand Escap hatch needs removing though"

I have used the kit window to block the hole and then filled over the hatch. I pushed the kit glass proud and then sanded it back, thats why it appears clear.

Edited by Shaun

Hmmmm, it's the wrong scale for me, but the LHS did have a few in stock, so tomorrow..... Shall, I, shan't I.... :undecided:

This week I have made a more progress on the model.

It's allmost ready for paint, just a few small areas to clean up before its time for the airbrush.

topviewnimrod.jpg

generalunderside.jpg

nimrodsideview2.jpg

I've added few small improvements to my kit.

The tail APU is missing the exhust port, so I've drilled this out. After studying photos I think the tail cone is too short and should a be about 5mm longer to match the look of the real aircraft. Mine's all glued up and clean up so I'm leaving it as it stands. Also you will need to reduce the size of parts 1E (rear facing tail fairings) as these are well over scale!

Tailfin.jpg

The exhusts under the engine bays are also over scale and appear to have been reproduced from Nimrod MR4 drawings!.

largeexhust.jpg

I have cut these down is size and repositioned them off centre to represent the exhusts on the earlyer Nimrods.

reducedintakes.jpg

Just to add scale to the model, here it is next to a Harrier.

harrierandnimrod.jpg

Time to make more room on the shelf!

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

• 2 weeks later...
The exhusts under the engine bays are also over scale and appear to have been reproduced from Nimrod MR4 drawings!.

A possibility as the layout of the landing lights certainly look like they've come from the MR4.

Very nice work Shaun.

That canopy looks a very good fit. Any tips?

Cheers,

Jon

The canopy does not fit perfect you may have a small step at the rear and along the lower edges, mine did.

It's quite an easy area to build up with filler. I applyed about 3 passes of filler/sanding before I was happy.

Do you have any flexy files/ nail poishing sticks?, these make this job quite an easy task.

Shaun.

Some neat work so far Shaun - glad the general assembly appears to be pretty good

For the size of the kit, the fit is very good.

This week I have not touched the model, be busy doing other things in the evenings.

Hopefully get some work done today and this week, as I'm away next weekend for easter.

Shaun.