Eduard etch for the Trump F-100

Bennygman

Just been checking Hannants Friday update (Eduard Hellcat's in btw). I see that Eduard have released no less than eight sets for the F-100, totaling a cool £100 (ish).

Now that's a lot of etch even for a fan of the medium like me. I'd sure like to see the result if someone else has a go at it though.

Steve.

Just been checking Hannants Friday update (Eduard Hellcat's in btw). I see that Eduard have released no less than eight sets for the F-100, totaling a cool £100 (ish).

Now that's a lot of etch even for a fan of the medium like me. I'd sure like to see the result if someone else has a go at it though.

Steve.

I've looked at the sets and the only one I ended up buying is the cockpit set, which includes a lot of stuff for decking behind the seat. I've got the AMS seat, so I don't need any of the seat stuff. Some of the Eduard stuff seems overkill, like the speed brake and well. Yeah, the kit brake and well can be improved but, for me at least, it isn't worth building it up out of flat PE parts.

Most of the PE for jets I found rather useless in one form or another. I find many inaccuracies, as well as most of the detail rarely matches the 3 dimensional details that resin sets can replicate.

I got a bunch of color PE sets for review purposes ma while back. For the most part I wasn't impressed with the flat I dimensions consoles and other details. The cockpit gray for US modern jets rarely matched FS 36231, and in some cases was some ridiculously off being blue! The instrument panels I found were the best use for color PE, when the panel is all black. But even then, I noticed that many of the dials were over scaled and that some tended to bleed off the edges.

Is many cases, the PE detail is used to enhance a rather inaccurate part, which in the end you end up with a very inaccurate, but detailed seat.

Overall, rein beats out PE 10 to 1 in just about all applications. A 100$ for a PE set is way too much, especially when it’s on average about half-way useful. PE is over priced for its limitations, as it would be more useful if sold in smaller sets, like instrument panels only. Even though I find PE to be quite overrated, it does have its place in a limited form.

Mike V

You can more than double the retail price of the kit with photo etched sets and you still will need to fix the misshapen intake, too large main gear tires, and too-shallow main gear wells.

From what I've seen of the Eduard set, only a small fraction of the parts on any of the sets are really useful. Most of that stuff would be better-done in resin. And what's up with all of those add-on panels on the fuselage? The real jet had nice, smooth skin, not huge patches of metal all over the place! I do like the gunsight and canopy details, but even those would be better in resin with a few PE detail parts such as canopy hooks and the mirror.

Ben

Hopefully Aires will do a cockpit, wheel wells, and speed brake. They just released a Hun seat so maybe there is a glimmer of hope they will do a full cockpit at least

Agree about the exterior set. Those PE fuselage plates look like add on scab armor. I also agree that 99% of the stuff in Eduard sets would be better done in resin, however not everything people want is released by someone as a resin set. Sometimes, it's Eduard PE or nothing.