Aeroclub Hawker Fury Spats (how do I prepare these?)

Red Arrow Jag

Hi,

Having never used white metal as a modelling medium before, I have warily acquired a pair of spats for the 1:72 Hawker Fury with the view of having the option of a MkII.

I am wondering how to prepare and finish them? Being cast, they are in good quality but are pitted, how do I get rid of these and also any flash that is on them.

I have some files but can fine grade sand paper be used?

As my Fury will (eventually) be natural metal- and silver dope- can I polish/ buff with polish the Aeroclub castings to a high/ intermediate shine or will I have to paint them using the Humbrol Aluminium I am using for the bodywork?

Cheers all!

Smooth them over with some sponge sanders (hiroboy.co.uk do some good ones), and then prime them to see whether you've got all the dimples sorted. Re-sand & re-prime as necessary. You can either glue them with CA or 5-minute epoxy if you want a more robust join. I wouldn't leave them NMF though, as unless you give them a coat of clear lacquer, they'll eventually turn dull again.

WARNINGS: If you do use sponge sanders, use old ones, as they turn black with the metal particles. White metal contains lead, so always clean up metal dust carefully, and wash your hands after handling, particularly if you've been called in for lunch! :eat:

Smooth them over with some sponge sanders (hiroboy.co.uk do some good ones), and then prime them to see whether you've got all the dimples sorted. Re-sand & re-prime as necessary. You can either glue them with CA or 5-minute epoxy if you want a more robust join. I wouldn't leave them NMF though, as unless you give them a coat of clear lacquer, they'll eventually turn dull again.

WARNINGS: If you do use sponge sanders, use old ones, as they turn black with the metal particles. White metal contains lead, so always clean up metal dust carefully, and wash your hands after handling, particularly if you've been called in for lunch! :eat:

Sorry no lead in our white metals, we went onto Tin rich pewter many years ago. Pewter does not cast anywhere near as nice as the "old" metals, being prone to porousity and uses higher temperatures and spin speeds so blame the americans. Halfords Primer filler (Yellow) is good as is Plastic Padding Elastic.

John