MPM/Xtrakit 1/72 Sea Vixen

DamienB

• 1 month later...
There's a decal sheet too from Xtradecal

Stephen

Yes, I have one in stock!! It includes more or less EVERY FAA scheme!!!

It does say to use the kit's red "No Step" hatching - but as Xtradecal decals seem to be printed by the same people printing Xtrakits decals - I suspect that shpuld be fine!!!

Really looking forward to his kit.....

Hannants saying 'early May' for the Xtrakit 1/72 kit... woohoo!

And... box art now up on Hannants site:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=XK72003

Decals for XP924 in current guise and her old red/yellow drone colours.

Interesting that Hannants are carrying on with the "Deep Cream" - I remember reading somewhere that this was a wrong , and that they were painted in good old fashioned Trainer Yellow (Or was it Golden Yellow????)......and red

Here's two blasts for the past:

XP924, Yeovilton, 1982:

sea_vixen01.jpg

And XS577, Hurn, 1984

sea_vixen02.jpg

Definitely not cream.......!

I remember taking a photo of the Sea Vixen at Yeovilton in 1982 with my 110 camera and alas the quality wasn't good. In the background you can just see the tail of the F-4G (81st TFS) and the rear end of the Lightning F3 (LTF) that were part of the large static display in '82. Good memories.

Andrew

I'm glad they have offered the drone colour scheme. I have fond memorys of watching this aircraft in the circuit around RAF Brawdy, while she was based at Llanbedr.

I also visited this aircraft while she was at Swansea after it was retired.

I've got photo's of the engine run day at Swansea somewere, will have to dig them out.

Shaun.

I remember taking a photo of the Sea Vixen at Yeovilton in 1982 with my 110 camera and alas the quality wasn't good. In the background you can just see the tail of the F-4G (81st TFS) and the rear end of the Lightning F3 (LTF) that were part of the large static display in '82. Good memories.

Andrew

Sorry to take this thread off track, but that was a classic display. The first post-Falklands one, so there were lots of a/c from the war and tons of captured Argie stuff. Happy days for the spotter!

It's been interesting watching people dumping their old Sea Vixen kits on eBay recently, and the completely bizarre range of prices they've been going for. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it at all, given that most are the old Frog kit in one guise or another (High Planes excepted, and frankly that looks like a fairly basic kit albeit I presume without the Frog kit's overly fat fuselage).

£ 5.70 - Modelcraft (ex Frog)

£11.00 - Revell (ex Frog)

£11.99 - Chematic (ex Frog)

£12.99 - unnamed Russian manufacturer (ex Frog)

£15.43 - High Planes

£15.60 - Frog

£16.50 - High Planes

£18.00 - Revell

£21.00 - Revell

£23.11 - Revell

£24.55 - High Planes

It is tempting to dump my old Russian kit on there too given that the Xtrakit one is bound to be better!

Well if you check Hannants Future Releases they have just announced BS353 Deep Cream RAE Drones as XA41 in the Xtracolor range.

Pity they havent realised we would like the full range in Xtracrylix :fraidnot:

Got the Revell/Frog kit in the collection, pretty pants really, could easily find room in the stash for this one as a replacement!

I've never built an Xtrakit before, what are they like generally? From what I've read, their Canberra Pr 9 was a bit of a pig (realtive to my skill level) and I'm not sure I'm up for such a challenge!

I've never built an Xtrakit before, what are they like generally? From what I've read, their Canberra Pr 9 was a bit of a pig (realtive to my skill level) and I'm not sure I'm up for such a challenge!

I'm 90% of the way through their Meteor F8. A lot of parts fitted really nicely (e.g. fuselage halves), but others were... challenging. In some cases though I think that was due to me not lining things up properly rather than intrinsic bad fit. I'd say they challege you to get it right, but reward you when you do. it certainly looks like a damn nice Meteor now, with any problems being 'modeller's own'.

Steve.

If you've built kits from the MPM stable (Special Hobby/Azur/MPM) that's what you're getting in the Meteor F.8/FR.9 boxings as MPM did the mouldings for that kit. Regardless of it being in a Special Hobby or Xtrakit box, its the same plastic.

The Special Hobby Meteor Nightfighter is a reissue of the old Matchbox kit, not sure if they improved anything though.

The Canberra was tooled by another Czech outfit, Sword, and their kits do have a reputation of being rather piggish to build.

You can expect the MPM/Special hobby experience from the Sea Vixen. The mouldings should be good with possibly a very subtle pebbly texture to the plastic, possible (but not guaranteed) vac formed clear parts, wing trailing edges will likely be a bit thick and need some sanding down.

OK, thanks for the advice! Think I'll have to get one anyways and just let her sit in the stash for a while until I've honed my skills a bit more!

Cheers

Shaun

To go with the Xtrakit Sea Vixen kit Model Alliance are releasing a few Royal Navy related sheets which feature Sea Vixens.

There is a 1960's RN sheet shortly to be released plus HMS Eagle selection which includes some specials.

We also still have limited stocks left of the HMS Ark Royal decal sheet which has Sea Vixens included.

The RAE schemes will be covered in our British Test Aircraft decal sheets later in the year.

Regards

Gary Madgwick

The Aviation Workshop/Model Alliance Decals

To go with the Xtrakit Sea Vixen kit Model Alliance are releasing a few Royal Navy related sheets which feature Sea Vixens.

There is a 1960's RN sheet shortly to be released plus HMS Eagle selection which includes some specials.

We also still have limited stocks left of the HMS Ark Royal decal sheet which has Sea Vixens included.

The RAE schemes will be covered in our British Test Aircraft decal sheets later in the year.

Regards

Gary Madgwick

The Aviation Workshop/Model Alliance Decals