1/72 F-84G 'Thunderbirds'

dswoofie

Looking good Karl.

Are those IR probes on the Tanks mate?

Daz, glad you just mentioned this... I think they are refuelling probes for drogues. I'd not really thought of them before, but I'm not sure they should be there on a T-birds one... Damn...

Looks like I'll have to remove them and re-spray the tanks now... D'oh! :doh:

Anyway, I've rescued the canopy after THIS, and it's all finished now...

ea2c7429.jpg

Karl.

A bit more done today, I've given it a panel wash and Kleared it ready for decalling.

Also removed the refuelling probes from the insides of the wing tanks. Simple job but hadn't even given it a thought until Daz mentioned them (cheers Daz!)

Here it is...

86deb099.jpg

Decalling tomorrow!

Karl.

Right, I'm on the last leg of this F-84 now. Not much more to do, just wait for it to dry properly, fit the undercarriage, give it a coat of Klear, and it'll be done.

I was aprehensive of the decals to begin with, they looked a bit odd on the sheet, but the behaved really well. I was pleasantly surprised by this, although I did have some problems around the tip tanks. That being said, I've never known any decals go around these kind of surfaces very well (probably some of my doing as well!) There are a few gaps in the tip tank decals as they don't seem to line up very well, this left a bit of a problem as they looked pretty awful. After a bit of messing around with some paint I found perfect matches for both the red and the blue (Red - Xtracrylix XA1217, Red RLM23 and Blue - Tamiya X-3 Royal Blue) Keep those in mind if you ever build this kit as you WILL need them.

All in all I'm pleased with how it's looking now...

4d263588.jpg

Karl.

Found my Tamiya F-84G, this is how its been since 2000 - still have no idea what happened to the taiulplanes!

The Model Art sheet has just the one Norweigien example, the rest are all French, looking forward to bagging a Hobbyboss one, ditto their Typhoon and a few others.

8925d71008.jpg

Wow Karl, that is lookg great in the T'Bird scheme, and all from a £3.99 kit, fantastic!

Edited by Jonathan Mock

FINISHED! YAY! :yahoo:

Popped on the undercarriage last night, and sprayed the anti-glare panel this morning and it's all done. Did have one issue with the undercarriage... the kit has some holes for the front leg to go into, but if you install them in there the aircraft is left sitting a bit nose down. In order to rectify it I blanked off the holes and fitted the leg straight onto the filled holes. As the lugs were flat and square there was no problem getting a firm join.

I have to say for a £3.99 kit, this really punches above it's weight. OK, the construction is very simple, but put a little care into it and it comes out lovely. The decals were the biggest surprise for me, at a first glance they looked iffy but behaved impeccably. Really well pleased with the resulting model from this kit. So much so that I've just bought an F-86F-30 Sabre this morning!

Anyway, here she is in all her splendor!!

95bcc607.jpg

The Ready for Inspection thread is HERE, with many more photos...

Karl.