1/72 F-84G 'Thunderbirds'

dswoofie

While I was mooching around the local model shop I got looking at some of the Hobbyboss Easy kits. I've never really taken much notice of them before but I was looking for something nice and easy to throw together for a change. Looking in the box I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the moulding, although it is a simple construction there is a nice amount of detail and it is all nicely recessed. With the Thunderbirds scheme as well, I was sold on it...

The box contents...

afd0a226.jpg

Some nicely moulded parts and details...

a5361981.jpg

aeee91b8.jpg

20bb41b0.jpg

The decal sheet... it looks a little shiny and thick, but I won't really know until I try them.

235cc55b.jpg

For the princely sum of £3.99 this looks to be an absolute bargain... I have no idea on accuracy or anything like that, but I don't care really! It looks like it should, and should build into a lovely little model!

Karl.

I've bought this kit too, and although I've not made it yet, if it's anything like the other HobbyBoss kits I've built, it'll be a belter. Clean it up, treat it with respect and you can't lose!!

How much would that decal sheet cost if it was a seperate commercial one?

I've only had good experiences with their decals...looking forward to this one. :partytime:

That HB F-84 is on my hit list, I have a Tamiya one all painted in Norwegian camouflage, I just need to find one of the tailplanes to get decalling. Would like to make another in an alternative Norwegian scheme, but need to remember which one to buy!

OK, not a huge amount of construction to take place, but here's the bulk of it done....

c180bc91.jpg

7b68be16.jpg

There is a gap to be filled at the wing root, but nothing major. I had a bit of a problem attaching the 2 panels on the front end of the fuselage, just behind the wheelwell. These needed a bit of plastic removed from the back of them to enable them to snuggle down into place properly. Other than that, it's simple.

Oh, a bit of tipp-ex into the holes for the pylons for filler as the T-birds didn't have them. Just a bit of tidying up of the joins required too.

Karl.

Edited by dswoofie

If you can't cope with the canopy, Ian, go for their F-86 Sabre. There's two versions, the F-40 having the larger span wing. :partytime:

Well that is a big suprise considering all the "negative" comments I have heard about these kits! Nice one! Easy way to frame these canopies is to use Xtradecal Silver lining stripes, saves all that masking and looks good too! MODeller

Just a little update on this, I've spent about 30 mins working on the cockpit and have finished it. Painted up the instrument panels with some drybrushing to highlight the details, and then some random spots of red, green and yellow in there to break it up. Just adds a little detail I think. I also made some seatbelts from a thin strip of masking tape painted in Tamiya desert yellow, and dabbed with silver for the buckles. Nothing special but better than nothing.

3dc438a9.jpg

1b5a7d26.jpg

After doing this I've discovered a let down about the kit, the canopy is not very clear. I've dipped it in Klear and it's made it better, but I don't think it'll come up completely clear. I'll try again and see what happens. In any case, this was never planned as a masterpiece kit!!

Karl.

This kit looks like FUN!

I did their Hellcat a little whiles back, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I see HB have seperate parts each side of the nose, which may point to an E variant? It looks a lot like the Academy kit, which I'm battling with :angrysoapbox.sml: , except the fit seems to be better on the Hb one.

I'll have to keep an eye out for one of these.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article

Mike

Right, I decided to do a bit of an experiment on this kit. I was wondering whether by shading certain panels prior to spraying on a silver would results in these panels having a different tonal finish. Initially I sprayed the panels I wanted darker with a black, leaving all of the others unapainted kit grey.

f82cbfa9.jpg

e70b7c04.jpg

It has worked, although I'm not really the best at leaving it alone when I need to! I think I probably put at least one coat too many on there. It certainly has worked, but is difficult to photograph properly. It is a faint tonal difference, but probably not the final result I wanted. I will probably go on and do the tonal differences with different shades of Mithril Silver...

Only the wings were done, just to get an idea of it...

bef0121b.jpg

f096fb7b.jpg

d957ef04.jpg

Karl.

OK, small amount of work done on the F-84 today. I've finished off the main painting on it. The panels that I wanted darkened are now done to my liking. It was a real job to photograph them properly as they are only subtle, but I managed to catch them on these shots...

4a1ff082.jpg

ee036300.jpg

I eventually covered up the blackened panels completely with the Mithril silver as I wasn't 100% happy with them. Afterwards I mixed a 60:40 mix of Mithril Silver and Chainmail and masked off the panels again. This gave me the kind of finish I was originally looking for.

I'm currently trying to recover the canopy to the best that I can after the 'stoopid' incident with dipping painted canopies in Klear again... fingers crossed on that one!

Karl.