A Furious attempt!

Leigh

Right while the Attacker has paint curing, time to get started on my entry. Venerable Hobbycraft offering with an Airwaves etch set. Obligatory box shot.

100_7382.jpg

Right while the Attacker has paint curing, time to get started on my entry. Venerable Hobbycraft offering with an Airwaves etch set. Obligatory box shot.

100_7382.jpg

Shouldnt be that difficult to knock one out

Well, at least better than the box art

OK obligatory cockpit shot. Yeah i know Fury offices are the black hole of Calcutta and nowt much will be visible through a closed canopy but it was some practice with P.E. The instrument panel is etched but no film, so I cut out some dials from an old panel decal and stuck them to the back, dabbed in some future and sandwiched it on the original panel, quite pleased with that method.

cubanpit.jpg

The Sea Fury was my other choice for a Sea-theme, so it will be interesting to see how this one goes together.Are you doing an RN Historic Flight for the group build?

Jens

Nah the scheme is going to be a suprise, in fact it's gonna be a suprise to me too :undecided: seeing as my references show three different schemes for this aircraft and I seem to have mislaid the very expensive decal sheet I need to do it.

Basic airframe went together pretty nicely, cept for the 22 ejector pin marks in the wheel well which I gave up hope of ever getting cleaned up.

My first try with Alclad not as good as I'd hoped but I'll put that down to user error rather than the product. The instructional DVD I have on alclad leads one to believe it's bullet proof after five minutes, not so, you should really let it cure untouched overnight. Also as used in the DVD I think a single action airbrush is better suited to putting down a consistent wet coat as needed. Seem to use alot of paint to and those jars aren't cheap. Flawless preparation is a MUST and I cut some corners in that dept. But it does go on beautifully and the primer is frickin AMAZING!

Looks better in the pic than real life but it's still not bad.

100_7404.jpg

Visit My Website

Nice job with the ALCLAD Leigh.

It is a nice qick way of getting a pretty good metal finish. Last night I managed to mask a coat of ALCLAD after about 15 mins and had no problems. Still, like you, where demarcation of panels is required I would want a bullet proof coat and leave it until the next day before masking. I was just playing last night looking at different colours - and FOIL :analintruder:

cheers

Grant

Thanks Grant, also realised I was using the wrong tip on my airbrush doh :doh: Yeah a fine tip doesn't lead to the needed broad coverage.

So now she's olive drab with a pre shade of dark green and lots of rock salt chips, any guesses as to where we are going with this?

Answers on a postcard to

Blue Peter

BBC TV Centre

London

W12 8QT

cubanpre.jpg

Good luck with the salt. I found that very difficult to control, and kept blowing bits off with the airbrush! I prefer to chip off afterwards.

As for tips, I like using my fine tip. Although, so far, my ALCLAD bits have been fairly small. Though it seems I am about to attempt my first ALCLAD airframe.

Cheers

Grant

So now she's olive drab with a pre shade of dark green and lots of rock salt chips, any guesses as to where we are going with this?

Answers on a postcard to

Cuba? bay of pigs?

• 2 months later...
Cuba? bay of pigs?

Ding ding ding We have a winner!

Again finished a while back and this was a nice build, had fun with this one. This is my second Hobbycraft kit and again a no putty model, really quite impressed, I can live without super detail, and even supposed innaccuracies as long as they are not too obvious, if you give me a kit that fit's together well and doe's not require hours of putty and sanding.

CFury3web.jpg

So it's Cuban Bay of Pigs and I had three references for this scheme/plane.

1. The scheme in the kit instructions/decals for this particular plane with different size/shape marking in a bare metal finish.

2. Again in the kit instructions/decals same scheme, different plane and the insignia was of the stars and bars type.

3. A profile in a book I have of "20th century air warfare", with the markings for no.1 plane but the round insignia, this scheme was confirmed by Wings Pallette

So I went with No.3 'cos my original inspiration was the pic I'd seen in my book, used the Zotz Roundels of the world decals for the insignia (pricey but nice) and cobbled some other stuff together for the lettering. Also added a squadron Vac-Form canopy which is an absolute thing of beauty.

CFury4web.jpg

CFury5web.jpg

Crap photo but I wanted to show how my first attempt at Alclad came out.

So this one actually won the "Theme night" at my local IPMS club in May for "Model de Mayo-anything Latin". And then of course at the end of the evening I was ganged up by the latino contingent of our club (this is Southern California/Mexico North) and informed by the guy who runs "the Latino Aviation Historical Society" that the underside of this plane would have actually been light grey. :banghead:

I was just guessing seeing as this plane started life in BMF and it's hard to tell the exact colour from a profile in a book. He was also marvelling at the crystal clear canopy and started telling me the history of Cuban Furies and how the canopies were usually so beaten up and scratched that often the Pilots could barely see out of them.

Proof again that the best references always come after you've finished the model.

CFury6web.jpg