xtra acrylic paint.

cardiff guy

hi all

has any of you encounterd the promlem i had today, sprayed what was suposed to be xa1036 bs 629 dk camo gry, and when dry it's not that at all its medium sea grey when i compare it to the pot lid it's nothing like it but compared to medium seay grey its a total match.so now to re mask and try again with another pot.Any one else had the same problem...

happy modelling glenn.....

hi all

has any of you encounterd the promlem i had today, sprayed what was suposed to be xa1036 bs 629 dk camo gry, and when dry it's not that at all its medium sea grey when i compare it to the pot lid it's nothing like it but compared to medium seay grey its a total match.so now to re mask and try again with another pot.Any one else had the same problem...

It just so happens that I have a few pots of Xtracrylic to hand(!)

XA1003 is Medium Sea Grey and is a lot lighter than XA1036 Dk Camo Grey.

I've brush painted a test patch on a model I'm bulding and both look okay.

(Don't have my camera with me today, so can't post a pic....)

Not sure whats happened with yours Glenn, but mine show a massive contrast......

(even if the MSG does lok a little dark!!)

I had a similar problem with the Xtracrylics Dark Camo Grey on my Spotty Jag - when it dried it was way too dark and was exactly the same colour and shade as Dark Sea Grey. The Dark Camo Grey was much darker than the sample on the pot lid and I guess they must have put Dark Sea Grey in the pot.

Both paints were purchased about a 18 months ago IIRC.

HTH,

Ian

I had a similar problem with the Xtracrylics Dark Camo Grey on my Spotty Jag - when it dried it was way too dark and was exactly the same colour and shade as Dark Sea Grey. The Dark Camo Grey was much darker than the sample on the pot lid and I guess they must have put Dark Sea Grey in the pot.

Both paints were purchased about a 18 months ago IIRC.

HTH,

Ian

There's not that much difference in the two colours on 1:1 scale examples either!!! Especially when the paint has faded and has weathered. Looking at these colours on Tornado's, Jaguars and Harriers, its very difficult to note the demarkation line, in fact you have to know where to look in most cases, and the lower colour of Dark Camo Grey often appears to have a sheen whereas the upper surface Dark Sea Grey appears with less so. This could of be an optical illision, but look at photo's of real aircraft and you'll maybe see what I mean. Additionally the upper surfaces are painted in a slghtly darker shade as light shines on them more. This then gives a more uniform greyness!

Heres Dark Sea Grey AND Dark Camo Grey (both Xtracrylic - from the pot). There IS a demarkation line there.........

000_0522.jpg

Hi Bill,

The demarcation you have on your Harrier is what I now have on my Jag after lightening the "Dark Camo Grey" - the original coat was identical to the Dark Sea Grey. I'll spray up a test piece tomorrow to show what I mean. I'm sure the Dark Camo Grey in my pot is in fact Dark Sea Grey.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Bill,

The demarcation you have on your Harrier is what I now have on my Jag after lightening the "Dark Camo Grey" - the original coat was identical to the Dark Sea Grey. I'll spray up a test piece tomorrow to show what I mean. I'm sure the Dark Camo Grey in my pot is in fact Dark Sea Grey.

Cheers,

Ian

It sounds like that could be the case Ian, luckily I've never had any problems.....my GR7 was painted straight from the pot - though I have applied a coat or two of matt varnish to tone the gloss/satin sheen of the paints down.....

thanks guys

i think this was one of the pots i bought when they first come out.i have tried out a few of the other pots i bought and as well as the lt camo grey being medium sea grey the dark camo grey was actually dk sea grey.i have other pots of the same and they are fine.but the good news is you can spray humbrol enamels on top i did give if a coat of johnson's before.so beware if you have older stocks of lt or dk camo grey test them fist or unlike the tv ad they may not do what it says on the tin lol.