Pulling a jet pipe from a Lightning.

Fmk.6john

Well I had the superb oportunity of helping the Lightning Preservation Group start the rectificatiion work on XS904, she has gone 'tech' with a leaking hydraulic selector valve.

The valve is about the size of a cigarette packet but such is the location of it you have to remove the No1 jet pipe to get to it......thats Lightnings for ya!!.

First she was positioned in the hanger for access and light....

904no1jetpiperemoval03pp3.jpg

No1 jet pipe is the lower one of the two....

904no1jetpiperemoval04xq2.jpg

After about 4 hours work all the pipes and coupling are disconnected ready to pull the pipe, the jet pipe craddle is being positioned and attached to the airframe....

904no1jetpiperemoval07ke2.jpg

A bit of muscle on the pipe and out she comes......

904no1jetpiperemoval09gp7.jpg

A few minor snags with the jet pipe rollers saw another hour or so of swearing and skinned knuckles!!....

904no1jetpiperemoval12zq9.jpg

At last she be free........

904no1jetpiperemoval18kk6.jpg

904no1jetpiperemoval20gk2.jpg

The hole left behind.....

904no1jetpiperemoval21ur1.jpg

The light was lost as the pipe came out so everything was secured and made weather proof, work on the offending leak will resume at a later date.

Regards,

John.

Edited by Fmk.6john

Nice post John and some great pics. The weather looks a bit chilly but at least there's a bit of protection from the Q-shed now. It'll be great when it's all finished. Do you know if there are any open days coming up at Bruntingthorpe soon? Haven't been to one yet but I've promised myself I will this year :)

Gary.

Great shots and to think these are volunteers, freezing their bums for naught but satisfaction and a job well done...

This would make a dandy fine diorama, dont you think?

Edited by dahut

Great shots and to think these are volunteers, freezing their bums for naught but satisfaction and a job well done...

Dave, I dont get paid for my work at the museum with WH773, infact 5 of the instruments in her are mine, jet pipe covers, map case, all paid for by me. Yes I could claim the money back from the Museum, but, because I havent, the Boss knows I wont run off and leave 773 in bits. What do I want in return? To be able to open the door and allow people to sit in the cockpit and to be able to answer their questions and meet some very nice people. Besides, on the other side of the coin, I aint gonna 773 refurbed in a rush on my own now hint hint come gang, come and join me hint hint :lol: Oh if it wasnt for 773, Id never have joined another forum, and wouldnt have met our John, who just happens to be a really nice guy, and a bit good with a camera & building Lightnings :worthy:

Bex

dahut

I have only recently got involved wth the LPG and from my point of view I have spent the last few years watching as an enthusiast, I collect books and other stuff and I thought that it's time to start contributing to preservation rather than just being a spectator so to speak.

While I was working with them a chap by the name of Roly took me under his wing and showed me what to do, he is a multi trade Lightning man, once the Chief Tech at Binbrook and also trained on the Tsr-2, an absolute pleasure to work with and the stuff he knew was astounding.

Here's me and Roly in action (Roly in fatigues and me stood on the tail plane) trying to get to a jet pipe roller that proved stuborn, the speach bubble goes something like this......'now what you need to do John is fold your hand up like this and then dislocate your wrist, then bend your elbow backwards and then you can just about reach it!!'

aaahx0.jpg

There will be an event this year but the dates have yet to be finalised, for more information keep an eye out on the LPG website below......

http://www.lightnings.org.uk/

Kindest regards,

John.

I spent 9 years working on naval aircraft and airborne systems as a member of Uncle Sams Yacht Club. I suppose having crawled around in many a bilge, compartment and hydraulic soaked rat hole myself has me paid up. No, I wasn't knocking anyone except in a good natured way. When you say dahut, say it with tongue in cheek, my friends!

I'm putting money down that on that bone numbing day in the pics, at least one of those hearty blokes was saying,"...and to think we do this for nuttin'!"

Everybody has to be into something. Given half a chance, I might take up working on one of those myself.

bloomin heck John.

Was that going back in time or what!

£ for every one I did of those in my Lightning days. Might be a richman moneywise but certainly not rich in memories.

Happy Days :pipe:

Thanks for sharing these pics John

Adrian

Great stuff John. If the Hunter was the most beautiful jet ever, the Lightning was definitely the most macho.

Don't suppose you know what happened to that Lightning that was a gate guardian at Teeside airport until a few years ago? On enquiring at the airport I was told it had been bought to be restored to air-worthiness.

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave

XR749 was at Teeside until June 2004 when she was dismantled correctly and taken to her new owners in Scotland (IVGTS) they are indertaking a full corrosion treatment and clean-up before re-assembling her within their main foyer.

IVGTS service avon engines hence the Lightning link, unfortunatly she could never be considered as a candidate for return to flight, the airframe is fatigue expired.

Regards,

John.

Nice pictures John...pass my regards on to Roly when you next see him (I used to work with him - both at RAF Binbrook, and Bae Systems at Brough. Also, ask him if he needs my help on the aircraft?). I am pleased that you are helping them, these aircraft need all the TLC they can get in order to stay alive!

Cheers

Derek