Mattie's Nimrod R1

D29 is the Supplimentry Cooling Pack (SCP) Exhast, only fitted to the MR2 and AEW3s, later MR1s in the hemp colour had one I believe, and the R1 does not, so I have filled the gap

Thanks for the information, I fill that slot tomorrow.

Tonight I glued the fuselarge togeather and found my kit has a warped rear fuselage at the rear of the bomb bay.

This is not a real problem as I'm building the R.1 and this area needs rescribing anyway, but if I was doing the MR2, this would have caused problems.

Has anyone else found this with their moldings?

Matt, what is the large black disc at the rear of the equipment panier and is it flush with the surface?.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Got my kit togeather tonight, it's big!

Its a shame Airfix did not make the kit box 25mm wider because it would then sit back in the box to dry. :P

Matt, How was the fit of the weapon bay doors on your kit?

On mine the front piece is excellent, but the rear seems a little too narrow at the rear end.

Shaun.

Any idea were the Nimrod R.1 reference thead has gone?.

I started my kit tonight, just cleaning up the large peices and putting the cockpit and bulkheads together.

Shaun.

The R1 thread is in the Nimrod section. It's at the bottom of the 'modeller' section under the title of 'New and Forthcoming releases'

Pete.

The R1 thread is in the Nimrod section. It's at the bottom of the 'modeller' section under the title of 'New and Forthcoming releases'

Pete.

I've found the Nimrod section now.

I'm at the clean up stage now, may post a progress shot later if anyones intrested

I've had a look at Gunpowders finshed model and it looks like his bay doors have the same step as mine at the rear.

It not a big problem, just a little sanding and filling.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Looks good. For the left tank, are you using the kit's rounded end dome as is? For some reason the taper on the end of the tanks looks different to me. When I put the dome with the tapered section on the right tank and just the dome on the left tank, they don't look the same to my eyes, and I'm thinking they should be identical.

Looks good. For the left tank, are you using the kit's rounded end dome as is? For some reason the taper on the end of the tanks looks different to me. When I put the dome with the tapered section on the right tank and just the dome on the left tank, they don't look the same to my eyes, and I'm thinking they should be identical.

I have used the kit pieces

It is the only clear space I have at the moment, this is very much a trial and error build, my next one will be built with the knowledge of things I have learnt from this, either a MR1 or R1 from the late 70s

Mattie I've just started my first one (it's going to be an MR1 - I like the grey/white scheme) and I think my main worry will be fairing in the clear windscreen, due to my coordination difficulties. What did you use to hide the join as it looks superb. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Tony :clif:

Excuse my ignorance guys but could you show me where the lights are supposed to be moved to. Also what is inside the two fusalage doors that are open on the kit? Has anyone got any pics of that area I could cadge.

Cheers

Alan

Also what is inside the two fusalage doors that are open on the kit? Has anyone got any pics of that area I could cadge.

Cheers

Alan

Which Mark are you looking to build, as the R is different to the MR

What did you use to hide the join as it looks superb

Filler and sanded flush with Micromesh, I have used it to polish out window scratches on the real R1

Edited by Mattie Bee

I can see that you have added the strips to the top of the wing tanks.

Yeah, I have also added the lightning spikes to to the Wing Tip Pods, which I have also shortened because there were way to long even for the R1s longer pods (I can not use there real name as thats classified, they are not ECM Pods) I have also fitted the Pitots and Q Heater I will create a list of all my additions when I have done