Started to look for a new digital camera- I was really hoping to pay around 100

Mentalguru

Before i got my dslr setup i started off with the fuji S5600. Have a look at my website for examples of the pictures taken with this camera. from the bottom of the index page up to the C9 Nightingale were taken with this camera. Hope this helps you out mate.....i thought it was a great camera and it cut my digital teeth as it were!

If you can get that for a ton, go for it mate, as Mr T says....it'll be great to cut your teeth on. make sure you buy some rechargeable batteries (2500mah at least).

Had a look at the speck Mental, but I can see if the 10X zoom is optical or digital. You need to go for the highest optical zoom you can get and unless your desperate use the digital zoom sparingly.

Apart from that is looks like a good camera for £100. I used a 'hybrid' camera similar to this one before I got my DSLR.

You might what to get Nicks opinion and there's someone else on BM that takes photos for a living if I remember correctly.

I had one like that before I went the DSLR route - it took a good picture with a lower spec than this one. The only thing I'd say is that mine suffered from 'shutter lag', i.e. a delay between pressing the button and the shutter firing. Not a problem if you're using it on a tripod for model photography, but a right bugger if trying to capture a moving target. This might be something to try in person before you buy on line (This is one of the few things Jessops is great for).

Rich (PHREAK) can probably advise on the current models as mine was from five or six years ago.

I always find this xX zoom business misleading, surely it depends on where you start from? e.g. if it starts at 10mm eqivalent then its 10-100mm, if it starts at 35mm than its 35-350mm which is a completely different beast (but maybe I have the wrong end of the stick?). Mish is quite right to be wary of digital zooms too.

I notice that in the write up it says that sharpness is better at close quarters - again good news for model shots. The sample shot of the watch looks pretty good.

Steve.

Edited by Bennygman

Ok- any chance one of you good people could start a sort of "digital camera's for dummies" topic.

Actually, when you think about it- the camera is one of the most vital modelling tools we have. We capture the real life image of our intended model with it at an airshow or wherever. All our reference photo's are taken wit hcameras- (how annoying is it to be such a crap photographer that all ones images from yesterday's museum visit come out all smokey) and we use the camera to take images of our part builds, and finished models to display on the 'net.

Special rechargeable batteries- you see- errrr ummm I didn't know you could get them- and so on- focal zooms- optical- digital - spastical- :hypnotised:

Mental

Not much to add to all the rest of the comments, it is a good looking cam and the spec is good, this should be ideal for model shots and pootling round a museum.

The optical zoom verses digital zoom thing is simple, optical is what the lense does, once the lense has reached its maximum zoom length then digital zoom takes over, all digital zoom does is it magnifies the image, this only magnifies the pixels and makes the piicture grainy and poor quality.

The moral of this tale is get one with the best OPTICAL zoom and your on a winner.

These things can hae a reputation of eating batteries so rechargables are a must, also have at least two spare sets with you when you go out for the day, my first pro-zoomer would get through three sets in one day!!, the best ones are Ni-MH ones with high mAh capacity (in english these are nickle metal hydride batteries with high milli amp capacity).

Try these.......

http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/An..._Batteries.html

The bigger the mAh capacity the longer ther last basically, 1500 mAh=not long, 2850 mAh=very long.

Hope all this helps!!

John.

Edited by Fmk.6john

Special rechargeable batteries- you see- errrr ummm I didn't know you could get them- and so on- focal zooms- optical- digital - spastical- :hypnotised:

Rechargeable batterys - most Digitals accept these as standard. You should get a set + charger with the camera. Typically a better and cheaper bet than ordinary batteries. Charge and life times vary. My old Fuji took about 3-4 hours to charge and lasted 2-3 hours of shooting. My Canon 20D charges in about an hour and two of them will last a whole day of shhoting at an airshow (and then some).

Zooms and focal length: the longer the focal length the closer it appears to bring the subject into the frame, making it appear magnified. As a guide your eye sees at (about) 50mm, anymore than this and you're bringing it closer than normal (useful for flying shots), anything less than this and you're seeing a wider view than normal (useful in a crowded static park).

Optical zooms are genuine mechanical devices that 'see' a more magnified image and reproduce it accurately. Digital zooms take the optical image and 'enlarge' it (not sure how) typically introducing noise and loss of resolution.

Spastical - I'll leave that one to you :D .

Steve.

Rechargeable batterys - most Digitals accept these as standard. You should get a set + charger with the camera. Typically a better and cheaper bet than ordinary batteries. Charge and life times vary. My old Fuji took about 3-4 hours to charge and lasted 2-3 hours of shooting. My Canon 20D charges in about an hour and two of them will last a whole day of shhoting at an airshow (and then some).

Zooms and focal length: the longer the focal length the closer it appears to bring the subject into the frame, making it appear magnified. As a guide your eye sees at (about) 50mm, anymore than this and you're bringing it closer than normal (useful for flying shots), anything less than this and you're seeing a wider view than normal (useful in a crowded static park).

Optical zooms are genuine mechanical devices that 'see' a more magnified image and reproduce it accurately. Digital zooms take the optical image and 'enlarge' it (not sure how) typically introducing noise and loss of resolution.

Spastical - I'll leave that one to you :D .

Steve.

Thanks everybody- so I safely assume it's better to get one of these camera's that LOOK like a camera- as opposed to one thats about the size of a fag packet then.

I wll be thinking hard about this over the next few days.

Oh and Steve- still got those decals for you mate.

I just picked up a fujifilm s5700 yesterday from ASDA of all places for £120. Got it home and have had a bit of a play and it seems the mutts nads...

Just looked on ebay and you can get all sorts of extra's, 2x optical, wide angle or macro lens' for around £25 each.

Does for me, I'm no David Bailey, so got to keep it simple!

I had one like that before I went the DSLR route - it took a good picture with a lower spec than this one. The only thing I'd say is that mine suffered from 'shutter lag', i.e. a delay between pressing the button and the shutter firing. Not a problem if you're using it on a tripod for model photography, but a right bugger if trying to capture a moving target. This might be something to try in person before you buy on line (This is one of the few things Jessops is great for).

Rich (PHREAK) can probably advise on the current models as mine was from five or six years ago.

I always find this xX zoom business misleading, surely it depends on where you start from? e.g. if it starts at 10mm eqivalent then its 10-100mm, if it starts at 35mm than its 35-350mm which is a completely different beast (but maybe I have the wrong end of the stick?). Mish is quite right to be wary of digital zooms too.

I notice that in the write up it says that sharpness is better at close quarters - again good news for model shots. The sample shot of the watch looks pretty good.

Steve.

Ta for the nod Steve .....cash back on 40Ds coming up real soon! :whistle:

Ta for the nod Steve .....cash back on 40Ds coming up real soon! :whistle:

You pay for my car mate and we've got a deal! ;) . I'm gonna be looking for a 70-200 2.8 IS L and a body for it ...in about three years!

Steve.

You pay for my car mate and we've got a deal! ;) . I'm gonna be looking for a 70-200 2.8 IS L and a body for it ...in about three years!

Steve.

LOL!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I dont know doodly about cameras except for a few things, as they apply to snapping pics and models:

Optical zoom is required with true optic glass

3mp is about the bottom end these days.

Upgradable memory on SD (or another) memory card.

Abitily to go to macro mode flawlessly

All the other features are pretty standard, nowadays. The large format like that DSLR is bound to have plusses my thick head knows nothing of, as well. At any rate, it looks good!