1\48 RNZAF Hudson

As the sun continues to shine, took these pics today. Walked away from this kit when it was first released, £40 far too much! Then the voices spoke and I purchased it along with the £8 decals covering a RNZAF aircraft. It was finally completed last year and put on the table at the Avon show. Was not suprised to be told "smashed mine on the floor","threw it back in the box", "put mine on ebay" amongst several others! Stems really from the horizontal join on the clear nose, trying to match the vertical join on the fuselage, as well as no locating pins,lugs anywhere. A real pig! However glad that I persevered and am pleased with the end result but no more CA for me, and now regard any "limited run" with great suspicion. MODeller.

DSCF6754.jpg

DSCF6755.jpg

DSCF6762.jpg

DSCF6756.jpg

Well you did a pretty good job I think.

I still don't understand how CA have got away with it for so long. I think the CA/Hannants cartel and 30-40 quid prices was adding insult to injury.

Could not agree more! for the asking price I expect a lot better. What it has meant to me personally is that I have not, and will not purchase another CA kit however desireable the subject! I now view any "limited edition" kit with the greatest suspicion and ask around other modellers before any purchase. It is getting a lot easier to "walk away" after this one! MODeller.

Nice build and finish. I would say that most limited run kits are likely to have problems and to overcome them and have a great result like your Hudson is a good indication of your modelling skill. Good job.

Edited by Andy K

You've done a good job, Mo.

But I am disturbed by the rhetoric about Classic Airframes. They quite clearly state that their kits are for experienced modellers. It's on the instructions, its on the website.

I've built a number of their kits, and have about 10 more in my stash. They are intimidating and difficult to build, especially for modellers like myself with two lef tthumbs, but I went I with my eyes open and knew what to expect. With reviews of their kits all over the Internet, no-one can say they didn't know what they were getting.

Personally, I think Jules is to be commended for choosing subjects that no-one else dares to touch (Although Trumpeter are now cherrypicking his most popular subjects, it seems).

Is Classic Airframes the new Meteor?

As with all your stuff, it seems, a smashing job. I thought it was funny about the locating pins. I always sand them off first thing while flat-sanding the join surfaces. They are an impediment IMHO and I havent paid attention to them in a long time.

Good looking job. I like the pastel roundel colors, too. Precursor of the future?

Edited by dahut