EH101 refueling tests

palacefan

fantastic pictures there mate. it would be nice for the RAF to get some C-130 tankers again so we can see some more of this

Me too, although I think the Herc fleet is streched as it is. I did think it was weird that RAF Merlin's have been knocking around with refuelling probes in recent years but with nothing capable of refueling them in the air!

Me too, although I think the Herc fleet is streched as it is. I did think it was weird that RAF Merlin's have been knocking around with refuelling probes in recent years but with nothing capable of refueling them in the air!

lol, they only get fitted for airshows! rest of the year they are stored in the role bay at Benson

How did I miss these - thanks for posting Wayne, brilliant shots.

They disappeared shortly after posting, because there was a query over whether they were on public release yet or not. They miraculously reappeared when the position was clarified. They're good photos, aren't they? ^_^

Jen will know more, but IIRC the Herc C5s are plumbed to carry the RF pods, we'd just need to buy the pods!!

I was talking to the Merlin crew at an air display last year and they "thought" the RAF would be getting some refueling pods in a year or so.

The trial wasn't for the RAF, it's part of the CSARX contract in the USA which Augusta/Westlands are bidding for. The RAF have it as an 'option' should the need arise as do other operators of the AW101.

Just thought i'de mention it!

Dave

The trial wasn't for the RAF, it's part of the CSARX contract in the USA which Augusta/Westlands are bidding for. The RAF have it as an 'option' should the need arise as do other operators of the AW101.

Just thought i'de mention it!

Dave

Won't they need to stick another rotor on the back and change their name to 'Boeing' to win that one?

Saw the rest of the series of those shots last week (friends in low places!-I'm sure Grant and others have seen them too), up to and including the "money" shots. Those shots being contact *and* a green light in the rear of the drogue pod. In addition I also know what power setting the refuelled the -101 at. Not gonna say it here (yet) but lets just say they had plenty of power to spare! None of the pilots had ever done AAR before and all made contact first time. They also completed the trials using both BERP III and BERP IV blades to prove both blade designs. Overall a pretty successful trial. . . .

I do have some more pics but they are a very similar, i left out the cockpit shots showing anything.

I think this happenned Late Jan early Feb Mike.

I know of a stress man and his mate at Yeovil recreated these shots on some flight sim on line, and the pictures were identical.