A Naval Bucc

Guest Cop

Fine fine work Nige - that surgery on that canopy slide groove is particularly good mate - straighter than the straightest straight thing :)

Nice work so far, I like the wingfolds set needs to get me one of those. Are you gonna paint the detonator cords? And if so please show us how.

Nice work so far, I like the wingfolds set needs to get me one of those. Are you gonna paint the detonator cords? And if so please show us how.

Ah yes the det cord. Mike and myself had a conversation about this last sunday, when i took it round to show him. Airfix in their infinite wisdom chose to represent the det cord with raised lines not engraved. |So flowing a wash into them isn't an option. So we thought about liquid mask allowed to flow either side of the det cord. Leaving the actual raised line of the cord exposed then painting it.

Sounds simple in theory. I'll let you know how I get on in practice.

Nige.

Thanks very very interested 'cos I'm gonna build mine this year and I'd love to learn from someone elses mistakes :P

If thats the case then I would do it the easy way. Using the raised lines of the det cord as a guide I would scribe them into the inside of the canopy. Then sand down and polish the canopy up till smooth and crystal clear. Then I would use a wash to highlight the det cord much like applying a wash to panel lines.

Nige.

Just some pics of a completed wing. Just to prove I am actually pushing along.

P7084176.jpg

P7084180.jpg

Sucker took more masking than I envisaged.

Nige.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the main colours are on and I'm about set to crack open the decal solution. Sorry about the pics not my usual camera. The Extra Dk Sea Grey does look a slightly lighter shade in person.

P7184191.jpg

P7184185.jpg

P7184193.jpg

P7184194.jpg

P7184189.jpg

Coming along quite nicely. Not long left to go till the end of the GB either.

Hi Nigel,

Looking great so far. I've been following your build with interest as the Buccaneer is one of my favourites and I've several in the pending pile, just not had the time to get stuck into any of them yet.

I was thinking about the det cord issue, is it possible to build up some definition/colour by gently dry brushing some white or light grey onto the raised detail? I've not looked at my Bucc kits for a while and can't remember how well defined the raised detail is or if its even possible within the confines of the canopy contours, but just a thought.

Cheers

MarkC

Well moved onto the decalling, which is my fave bit of construction. I've said it before and I'll say it again Hi Viz Roundels are so cool. They have the ability to make any aircraft look good.

P7234195.jpg

P7234196.jpg

P7234198.jpg

P7234197.jpg

P7234223.jpg

And just to illustrate the Heritage intakes.

P7234208.jpg

I have the undercarraige waiting in the wings ready to go. It's going to get a minimal amaount of weathering as I want to show her new to the service.

Nige.

Always a pleasure to see more progress on this one Nige, you're right about the hi-vis markings adding a touch of class to her.