A Naval Bucc

Guest Cop

Guest Drewe

Talking of Bucananas, I had the "From The Cockpit" book on the S.1 turn up today. What a fantastic book! Thoroughly rivetting, this series goes from strength to strength (Especially if you have the phrase "Fly Navy" engrained on your psyche!). Some of the stories of the S.1 are amusing in a "Holy poo-poo!" kindo of way, especially the talk of moving from the Scimitar and pushing the throttles wide open on the Gyron Juniors and having "nothing discernable" happen in terms of acceleration! Interesting to note that the general concensus is that, extreme lack of power aside (and IGV problems), the Buc S.1 was actually a sweeter flying aircraft than the S.2, just nowhere near as capable needing nursing due to the engines. Smaller intake made it faster than the S.2 as well.

Great book, well worth the money for any True Believers in Blackburn's finest.

Oh for a decent 1/72nd Buccaneer (One that isn't 60 quid a shot I mean!)

- should there not be some sort of "bullet" in the centre of the compressor to act as a streamlining device? It looks very flat a the mo.. just wondering

Im always impressed when somebody tackles one of the Airfix Blobby three, ie the Tornado Jaguar and Bucc. Maybe one day I will have the guts to try one of these thanks to the inspiration from people like yourself!

Edited by Metalguru

It's looking fantastic so far, especially the cockpit. I will follow the build with interest, looking forward to see how it turns out, especially noting all those helpfull little tips. Just the sort of inspiration to tempt me to dust down one from the stash. Must dash out a quick order to Heritage though, as those intake look the Biz.

Cheers

MarkC

Was always a bit skepticackle anbout these...having heard some none-too-complimentary reports on them - though how anyone could regard them as anything other than a vast improvement on the kits offering is beyond my comprehension!

They look good!!! And as I'm now thinking about my Gulf War 1 20th anniversary models (..... only 4 years to go!!!!) I may get myself a set in....

Very nice Nige., I'm really looking forward to seeing her built!

Looks more like dust to me, give it a blow Nige :)

I'm not thinking of the ducting, but the compressor face and guide vanes. Look at the circular black spots in the 6 to 8 o'clock positions...

Of course the Heritage intakes are an improvement on the Airfix offerings - that speaks more of the poorness of the kit intakes than the excellence of the resin though. I do have a set to be used on my RN Bucc one day, and without having primed it, the castings look OK rather than spectacular.

Jens

Edited by jenshb

Looks more like dust to me, give it a blow Nige :)

Got all the best chat-up lines ain't you. :analintruder:

Edited by Col.

Jens is correct about the compressor fan faces. But to be honest the pics and direct lighting have exaggerated them. Being buried in the intakes also helps. Don't get me wrong they are good but could better. If I had thought about it they would have been easy enough to sort with a couple of drops of Tippex.

The main problem with the Airfix parts is the thickness of the intakes lips and the actual depth from the lip to the fan face. The Heritage set rectifies both these problems nicely. With the minimum of fuss. They won't cause any half baked modeller any problems to fit. Hell if I can do it, so can my cat.

Nige.

Bit more done on the old girl. In a complete fit of madness I decided to go with the Eduard Wing Fold set. Its a little bit fiddly but worth the work, I think.....

This is what Airfix give you to work with. Ihave already fitted the first part of the set as you can see. Those openings need to be opened to nearly double their original size.

P6193739.jpg

Then after much swearing and debonding of fingers, about 15 pieces of etch come together to form this.

P6193735.jpg

P6193741.jpg

I was fulled into a sense of false security with the outer panels as you only have to fit one part. So you start with this.

P6193743.jpg

And finish up with this.

P6193742.jpg

The only problem was that Eduard make no mention of the fact that you need to plug the whole in the wing prior to putting the etch on. So afer a long time filing filling and sanding. I checked my referances to see the glaring error. Had to peel it off and start all over again. poo-poo!

With a bit of fuse wire to replicate the hydraulics and the remainder of the Eduard etch fitted, which forms the hydraulic ram, it should look the biz.

Nige.

OOoohhhh... fiddly! Those buggers at Eduard make very nice stuff on paper, but in the real world, they can be very tricky to put together, and prone to falling to bits after a while.

OOoohhhh... fiddly! Those buggers at Eduard make very nice stuff on paper, but in the real world, they can be very tricky to put together, and prone to falling to bits after a while.

Tell me about it. If I had a swear jar it would be very full when I use Eduard PE, but I'll still use it as it really is superb, especially the pre-painted interior stuff. My Phantom seats look so much better now, better than I could have done myself. Not had any problems with it falling apart myself...

That looks really good, just the inspiration I need. I've just got this set in the mail today to add to my Bucc when I get around to making it...the thing is I've just started using my first set of Eduard PE on a Hawk, and I've found it really doesn't stick very well for some reason. I use loctite 401 or 406, and the airwaves brass sticks like the proverbial to a blanket. The silver coloured Eduard stuff just pops off the plastic.

Did you have any problems like this with this set? It looks fiddly enough without having bonding problems...

Edited by Phil

Sorry I haven't replied sooner Phil.

No I havent had any problems getting the Eduard PE to stick together. I use the thin Cyno applied with fuse wire. I bend the wire so that it has a small loop in the end. Position the PE in the correct place and then touch the join of the two pieces with the cyno filled loop. Capillary action then allows the cyno to flow around the two parts making a good solid bond.

You may also want to give the P a quick soak in vinegar to rough it up on a micro level or swipe it with a sanding stick.

Nige.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a few pics for this update all the major components are done along with all of the etch from the airwaves set added. Shoulld be seeing some colour on it tomorrow with a bit of luck.

I added the prominent canopy slide rail on the top of the fuselage. First I marked the position out with ye olde pencil and then heavily scribed its location. That way I could chain drill the hole confident that it was straight.

P7043771.jpg

Then it was just a simple task of joining all the holes up with a scalpel and sanding till happy.

P7053775.jpg

I was horrified by the size of the locating holes for the associated antennas and the like so I filled and drilled making sure they were all in the right place and square a task that Airfix only get a C in. I also added some detail I destroyed when sanding the seams.

P7053772.jpg

The intake on the starboard side was also drilled out and placed in the right place using photos as referance.

P7053776.jpg

A shot showing off the etch details on the rear.

P7053774.jpg

The canopy. Sealing strips as per the real thing. Edges on the outside centre strip on the inside. Worth the extra work I think.

P7023767.jpg

So this is where I'm up to at the mo. Should make the deadline I hope.

P7023762.jpg

P7023764.jpg

And these are the parts that make up the inner wing fold.

P6193744.jpg

Anyhows there we go.

Nige.