The Stringbag Diorama

Madman

A very nice pair of trout indeed Pierre :) Trout is another one of those words like sheep that have no plural... :doh:

On a side note, I like that font you used in your last few pics. What might it be called? :)

A very nice pair of trout indeed Pierre :) Trout is another one of those words like sheep that have no plural... :doh:

On a side note, I like that font you used in your last few pics. What might it be called? :)

Thanks Mike for the heads-up on the plural form :) The font is called "Daniel", and I got it here

Today an important day :) Let's pour the water...

Components are ready: the resin and hardener (Swiss-Composite), two aluminum baking cans, a mixing stick, a kitchen scale, Rotring inks and the rubber gloves.

080706Swordfish_03.jpg

Here is the "receiver". The plastic cup is to pour smaller quantities.

080706Swordfish_02.jpg

I start pouring an appropriate weight of resin into the can (300gr for the first layer). A sticks helps pouring the material "where it needs to go".

080706Swordfish_05.jpg

A few Rotring ink drops provide the blue water tint. It will come out that one cannot see it anyway...

Then I add 110gr of hardener, and stirr the liquids for 2 minutes.

The mixture will rest for 20min, to allow all air bubbles to come up to the surface.

080706Swordfish_06.jpg

Then I transfer the epoxy to the second can. This allows me to have only "good" resin, i.e. without the one sticking to the walls and botton of the can, where the mix might not be ok.

From there, some goes into the plastic cup, allowing more precision as opposed to pouring from the big can. With a wooden stick I pour the resin at different places onto the diorama. The surface will equalize immediately.

This is fairley impressive, believe me! I was actually sweating...

080706Swordfish_08.jpg

080706Swordfish_09.jpg

Ater the "blue" water is in, I prepare the rest of the mixture. I need to get at least a 2cm thick layer, or it will not cure for ages.

080706Swordfish_01-2.jpg

Pouring in the usual way. At the end I pocke out a couple of air bubbles with a tooth pick.

Next to the wing, a soldier is taking a peacefull nap :);)

080706Swordfish_03-2.jpg

The scene in the dio isn't bad at all :)

080706Swordfish_04-2.jpg

Now I have to let it cure for 24 up to 48 hours. To prevent dust speckles from falling into the water, I cover the dio with a large cardbox.

Wish me good luck gents! :):):)

Edited by Madman

Does it get warm?

We use an Araldite product at work for potting electrical components and that is a 2 part clear epoxy. Mix too much of it though and it overheats as it cures. It creates heat as it cures (exothermic) and it cures faster with higher temperatures. If not controlled it runs away with itself and starts smoking!

Model looks great by the way. :hypnotised:

Craig.

Edited by Craig

The IMPOSSIBLE DIORAMA...

Today I ordered new floats at Hannants...

Resin and me makes still two... too much heat this time, the floats melt away like snails under salt!

Anyway: I disliked the muddy color of the water. No photos, you possibly could not stand the remake.

This means that the Stringbag is on STANDBY until further notice.

:crying: That's terrible news Pierre... you must be very disappointed/angry/frustrated. Again, my admiration for not just giving up. :thumbsup:

Answers my previous question then with a big yes.

Bad luck on having to do it yet again. Any idea on how to do it again next time?

Craig.

Gutted, absolutly gutted!

An excellent diorama just not playing!!

So, mk3 coming up?

Huge admiration for your persistance on this, I'd have given up and tossed it a while ago!

Just been looking through the pages as to how the fantastic diorama is coming along, every new picture I see has me shaking my head in wonder and shouting "how can he do this!!"

I got to the end page to find disaster has struck again, I almost cried, I'm gutted for you. Really bad luck.

As others have said, I think you have great patience in going through the build again but would love to see this one finished.

Please don't give in.....................

Best regards

Tim.