Airfix 1/72 Vulcan

Garfs

Here's my progress with the Airfix Vulcan.

Started in early January, decided to rescribe the whole thing so here we are half way through February and it's finally starting to come together - just the one wing left to scribe now.

1. Fuselage

Vulcan_01.jpg

2. Cockpit

Vulcan_04.jpg

3. Added plastic tubing to fill the big holes round the back

Vulcan_03.jpg

4. Sanding, filling, repeat until intakes are as close to seamless as I can be bothered with!

Vulcan_02.jpg

Also completed the landing gear and started masking the canopy, more to follow soon (hopefully)...

Im gonna watch this one Garfs, as I have one to build for my Dad in the next few months :popcorn: so will handy to know of any glitches to keep an eye on, love the cockpit :worthy:

Bexy

Yep, scribing this thing is shall we say 'time consuming' and also the amount of time correcting any slips with the ruler! Hardest part is the curved panel lines at the front and around the fuselage - I'm currently about to make my fourth attempt at getting those right.

Not sure if anyone's ever tried this but I've used a spare brass door hinge, super-glued above the front wheel bay as the nose weight - fits perfectly and works a treat. I've test-fitted the undercarriage and it seems strong enough to hold everything.

I have always admired this aircraft. It had graceful lines, an intimidating look and was just plain cool looking to me, and the first time I saw one up close and personal I stood in awe. I felt a bit guilty as also on display at the same airshow was a C-5 galaxy, but I spent more time around the Vulcan than I did the Galaxy.....and I'm a Yank :blush: . So that said, please do a bang up job on what is one of the worlds classic aircraft. From what I see you have a good start :thumbsup: .

:clif:

Looking very good so far, it is a big'un isn't it, are you going to do a "Thunderball" under water diorama with her? :winkgrin:

The intakes look super smooth :goodjob:

Were did you get the pipette seen in your Tamiya thinners?

I bought some at a show years ago and they have all been worn out, would love to get some more- who would you recommend?

cheers,

Troffa!

Cheers Troffa,

I might re-enact the underwater scene by throwing it in the local pond if I mess up the paint job though!

Pipettes were from a local art shop when I lived down south. I'm a graphic designer and many moons ago, before computers took over, we had to create stuff like gradient backgrounds by hand with an airbrush and therefore had a large stash of pipettes for general painting-related use - I found a handful in the bottom draw of my desk!

I have used the Airbrushes.com website for stuff before, maybe they'll have some in stock.

Hope that helps,

Rich.

Looking very good so far, it is a big'un isn't it, are you going to do a "Thunderball" under water diorama with her? :winkgrin:

I bought some at a show years ago and they have all been worn out, would love to get some more- who would you recommend?

cheers,

Troffa!

You can also try eBay Troffa - That's where I purchased a batch of them from at not a bad price.

....I have used the Airbrushes.com website for stuff before, maybe they'll have some in stock.

Hope that helps,

Rich.

I get mine from Hiroboy, but he's out of stock at the moment - typical!!

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/product_inf...products_id=226

Your Vulcan is looking good Garfs. I still haven't finished mine - & I started it in 1984! I also got fed up with re-scribing it, so only did the top & fuselage!! Always intended to stick it to a base when it was finished!!

Keef

Edited by keefr22

Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

A small Tuesday afternoon progress update: Wings attached, gaps filled and blended into fuselage. Windscreen masked. Undercarriage finished (and test-fitted - one flipping wheel doesn't touch the ground properly so I'm thinking of taking if off and adjusting the fit slightly, might have to use a bit of artistic license to make it look right rather than be technically correct). Nearly finished re-scribing - just the bits pencilled in on top of the wings to do, so next step will be to fit the tail cone, fin and all other bits on the fuselage and then get a coat of primer over it to find out what needs fixing.

Looking at finishing it as either XH560 or XM595 from the Freightdog sheet.

All comments or advice welcome.

Rich.

Vulcan_06.jpg

Vulcan_05.jpg

Still looking good - just don't stall at this point - its about as far as my 23 year old build has got....!!

I would say that it's a major part of modelling to use as much artistic licence as needed - if it looks right, it is right!!!

Keep going!

Keef

Edited by keefr22

cheers,

Troffa!

Troffa

Just in case you cant locate the pipettes, Model Master has them. There are 6 to a pack I believe. If you arent able to locate tem I can pick some up and send em your way.

Cheers

Mike

I remember having to cut off part of the main gear legs and reattach at a different angle to get the main bogies to sit correctly when I built this kit many years ago... if you got all but one wheel to sit on the ground when attached to the kit, with no mods, I'm amazed!

Yep, scribing this thing is shall we say 'time consuming' and also the amount of time correcting any slips with the ruler! Hardest part is the curved panel lines at the front and around the fuselage - I'm currently about to make my fourth attempt at getting those right..................

I finally broke down and invested in some scribing templates and curves, it makes all the difference in the world and a sound investment for any airfix builder. With the curves you can just find the one that matches and use it as a template to cut out a piece of dymo tape with the same radius that you can stick to the model and scribe along. Also the little brass strip that goes in wooden rulers can be whipped out and be very useful for re-scribing as it is somewhat flexible and can be shaped to get into corners, around fuselages and other difficult spots.

You're a braver man than I at the moment, the thought of the 5000 miles of panel lines have kept my

vulcan firmly at the back of my stash, nice one.

Edited by Leigh

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy at work so not been able to do much until today. Added antennas and other bits to the fuselage, masked the clear parts, sprayed black over the canopy. Given it a rub down with 1500 grit wet'n'dry and a good clean, so ready for a coat of primer now. Have to do that outside so stuck at this stage now until the wind and rain goes away. :confused:

Rich

Vulcan_07.jpg

Vulcan_08.jpg

Hi all,

A bit more progress to report. This kit has been my first time rescribing panel lines (maybe done a bit too enthusiastically on this one, I think someone could live in a few of those trenches!) and also first time pre-shading - thanks to tips I've picked up here :thumbsup: .

Anyway, it's been primed and rubbed down to give me a smooth surface to work on. Pre-shaded the whole thing and just finished the last of several thin coats of Gunze Mr. Colour light aircraft grey arcylic on the underside. I'm going to leave it alone now until the weekend, then a bit of masking and make a start on the green/grey camouflage.

Cheers, Rich.

Vulcan_09.jpg

Brillant job there Rich, I remember doing this one a few years ago and nearly used a 2" paintbrush to paint her!!!!, she's a biggun.

John.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished at last! My first completed kit of 2008. Well almost - I just couldn't get the intakes to look right, so being a designer I cheated and covered them up. Here's a pic of the finished Vulcan, I will post more in 'Ready for Inspection' soon but I want to take it outside and do the shots in natural light.

Cheers, Rich. :yahoo:

Vulcan_10.jpg