Shiny Spitfire

Built using the Aeroclub fuselage set and the spare set of wings from the Airfix Seafire 46/47 kit.

Not sure if this should have a contra prop...

Darius

Do you, really, want to know? Several years ago, I met the man who'd painted it, and he gave me the full S.P.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Do you, really, want to know? Several years ago, I met the man who'd painted it, and he gave me the full S.P.

Edgar

Yes we certainly do Edgar!

Though I can't help feeling there should also have been a red stripe on the upper fuselage to give the

41 Sqn double cross effect when viewed from above.

Yes we certainly do Edgar!

Though I can't help feeling there should also have been a red stripe on the upper fuselage to give the

41 Sqn double cross effect when viewed from above.

Sorry, Darius, but it did have a contraprop, plus a few other anomalies. 21s, with a contraprop, had a Mk.18-type broad-chord rudder, with a 2" deeper horn, with the corresponding 2" taken off the fin top. The stripes are correct, in total, but there was a 3" wide black stripe, running from the windshield, to the spinner, down the centre of the cowling. Under the side frames, of the windshield (both sides,) a Squadron Leader's pennant was carried. Hidden by the open door, but carried on both sides, there was an 18" high Sky letter "D." The wing stripes were 12" (same size as the fuselage stripe,) but continued to the wingtip join line, not to the very tip. The tailplane stripes were 6", and went right to the edges of the planes, finishing at the same angle, but (as you did them) did not go onto the elevators. The whole a/c was painted silver, except for the cowling panels, and the fuselage fuel tank cover, which were burnished bare metal. The cowling badge was a spearhead, not an arrow head, 18" long, and yellow, thinly outlined in red. No serial nos were carried, at all, and the ORB does not say which a/c was used. Your model is beautifully done, Darius, and I'm sorry if I've spoiled your moment.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Sorry, Darius, but it did have a contraprop, plus a few other anomalies. 21s, with a contraprop, had a Mk.18-type broad-chord rudder, with a 2" deeper horn, with the corresponding 2" taken off the fin top. The stripes are correct, in total, but there was a 3" wide black stripe, running from the windshield, to the spinner, down the centre of the cowling. Under the side frames, of the windshield (both sides,) a Squadron Leader's pennant was carried. Hidden by the open door, but carried on both sides, there was an 18" high Sky letter "D." The wing stripes were 12" (same size as the fuselage stripe,) but continued to the wingtip join line, not to the very tip. The tailplane stripes were 6", and went right to the edges of the planes, finishing at the same angle, but (as you did them) did not go onto the elevators. The whole a/c was painted silver, except for the cowling panels, and the fuselage fuel tank cover, which were burnished bare metal. The cowling badge was a spearhead, not an arrow head, 18" long, and yellow, thinly outlined in red. No serial nos were carried, at all, and the ORB does not say which a/c was used. Your model is beautifully done, Darius, and I'm sorry if I've spoiled your moment.

Edgar

No worries Edgar - I've got enough Spitfire bits and spare decals in the spares box to correct the inaccuracies and I can raid a stashed Airfix Seafire 47 for a contraprop.

:giles:

Darius

Edited by Darius at Home

Edgar

Thanks for the valuable info Edgar. These kinds of first hand and 'from the horse's mouth' accounts won't be available for ever, so

it's a good thing that they're made available on forums such as this. I know I've got quite a few similar informative little text files that get

salted away in my aircraft photo folders whenever I come across them.

And I fully agree that Darius' model is truly excellent, even if not 100% accurate.

Also a fine addition from Matthew.

Must remember to foil the cowlings and paint the rest when I get around to doing one.

And Edgar can help you there - has an excellent "brew" for sticking kitchen foil to plastic.

Superb model Darius - just how many have you now built? How is the York?

David

I was afraid someone would ask about the York - it is stalled (again) at the moment but should soon be once more on the modelling table.

I have 186 models completed (all 1:48) and much more than that in the stash :hypnotised:

:giles:

Darius