Gainsborough Trader

perry

Hi everyone.

Built this a good while ago and thought I'd let you see it.

This is a model that I completely scratchbuilt from my own photos and sketches and photos I found on the net. Its a class of boat called a Humber Keel, a shallow keel boat that was used extensively on the Trent and Humber between Gainsborough and Hull for transporting grain and flour etc.

In 1940, this particular boat sailed from Gainsborough to Hull and out into the north sea, down the coast and took part in the Dunkirk evacuations. Because of its shallow keel, it ferried troops from the shore and out to the waiting ships and finally made a crossing of the channel loaded with troops.

The Gainsborough Trader still survives today and is privatly owned. There are also a few examples still to be seen on the Humber.

Hope you like..

MVC-299S.jpg

how nice to see an excellent model, of a vessel ,I often saw on the River Humber,when I was a lad.Unfortunately the Humber is virtually empty of any kind of shipping , nowadays.Well done on a superb build,and thank you for sharing it with us,All the best Phil

That's really nice Perry. I used to go fishing a lot on the River Trent when I was a lad and can remember seeing the Gainsborough Trader going up and down the river on many occasions. This would be in the earlier 1970's. She was one of the smaller keels that we used to see, I remember there was a really big one called the Humber Monarch. It was always impressive to see them running around the big sweeping bends on the river. Seeing one approach was always a cue to move all your tackle a few feet further up the bank to avoid the wash. Thanks for posting, brought back some good memories.

Gary :)

• 3 years later...

jeeez............... did i post this so long ago????? will try and get some more pics this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

was just looking for pics of my scratchbuilt Armed Trawlers (HMAT Sir Thomas Cornwall & HMAT Royal Marine) can't find them anywhere! Where can you hide bloody great ships? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!