Miggers' New revell Lanc.

Miggers

Hi chasps.

My first build post(I'll have to get my camera going and show off some of my FAA collection).

No need to introduce it too much except to say to those of you who've never built a Lanc or are contemplating doing so,then this is a real beauty.Revell have put an awful amount of work into this one and it really has paid off.The detail OOB is ample and it's going together very nicely.It's been designed by modellers for modellers judging by the break down of parts.

I've done a few additions to it internally,added the F/E's dickey seat, rudder pedals,brake lever on the yoke,throttles,the Nav's Angle poise lamp,handrails down into the bomb aimer's "hole" and his couch,just a few of the bits that make a Lanc a Lanc if you see where I'm coming from.

So here we go.

Starb'd side first

RevellLancshots2004.jpg

Port side with the internals fitted into it.

RevellLancshots2003.jpg

Port side from 3 o'clock high.

RevellLancshots2001.jpg

Port and stb'd sides together.

RevellLancshots2006.jpg

The mid-upper tub is assembled and the fuse is now joined.The joints need a tiny bit of "fettling" and then it's turn the fuse over to fit out and paint the bomb bay.

Mark

Looking good, Miggers. BTW, is that Ray Hanna in your avatar pic?

Looking good, Miggers. BTW, is that Ray Hanna in your avatar pic?

It certainly is The Master tompot.

Best Spit pilot I've ever had the pleasure to see in action.If any pilot of the last 30 years really wore a Spit it was Ray.

It's my personal belief that had he flown Spits on operations,he would probably have bettered some of the top scorers of the time on Spits.

Apart from seeing him display '434 and the P40 for real,the best clip I've ever seen of him is the famous or infamous(depends who you are) opening shots to the Spitfire documentory with Alain De Cadanet(another great display pilot)

filmed at Duxford.

It encompasses Ray's sense of humour,great skill,natural ability and his complete mastery and faith in MH434 to do what he just wanted just at the split second he wanted her to.

Perry;thanks for your comments.I've an idea for a bit of a display,sitting on the pan with a Merlin uncowled loosely based on a picture in Lanc at War 2.

Mark

Mark

I've fitted the undernose glazing and the bomb aimer's blister tonight.

I know it's a bit early on to do this(I've only just closed up the fuselage),but I've had to fit 'em to protect the bomb sight that I so carefully scratch built.

They can easily be masked out to protect them much more easily whilst I carry on working on the bomb bay rather than try and not damage the delicate bomb sight that sticks out beyond the fuselage end.

The undernose glazing fits into it's recess a treat and the blister is a perfect fit on the nose end,Revell really have put some serious work and thought into this kit.

Mark

It certainly is The Master tompot.

Best Spit pilot I've ever had the pleasure to see in action.If any pilot of the last 30 years really wore a Spit it was Ray.

It's my personal belief that had he flown Spits on operations,he would probably have bettered some of the top scorers of the time on Spits.

Apart from seeing him display '434 and the P40 for real,the best clip I've ever seen of him is the famous or infamous(depends who you are) opening shots to the Spitfire documentory with Alain De Cadanet(another great display pilot)

filmed at Duxford.

It encompasses Ray's sense of humour,great skill,natural ability and his complete mastery and faith in MH434 to do what he just wanted just at the split second he wanted her to.

Perry;thanks for your comments.I've an idea for a bit of a display,sitting on the pan with a Merlin uncowled loosely based on a picture in Lanc at War 2.

Mark

Mark

Mark, I'm with you all the way there. A truly marvellous pilot and sadly missed.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go.

Fuselage all closed up and the wings joined ready for the u/c bay components to be added and painted.

RevellLancshots2007.jpg

RevellLancshots2009.jpg

RevellLancshots2010.jpg

RevellLancshots2012.jpg

RevellLancshots2011.jpg

RevellLancshots2013.jpg

Stiil to fit to the cockpit is the prominent coaming mounted CDI instrumentation and a miliput "sausage" for the headbash pad,but they'll be the last jobs before the green house goes on.

Mark

Edited by Miggers

Thanks for posting those detail pictures Mark, it's looking really good. The interior detail puts the Hasegawa Lanc to shame, especially around the navigator and w/op. positions, but did Revell miss out the F/e's folding seat? Keep us informed please, I hope to pick up some tips. Are you modelling the "with" or "without" windows version?

Regards

Max

Thanks gents.Work is a bit slow at the mo(eh :headphones: )because the Mrs has the decorating bug(oof).

Ted:Thanks fellow.I'll have a look in a sec.

Max:Yes,Revell did miss the F/E's dickey seat out and RF141 is sans windows.They were there,just painted over apparently.

Mark

• 3 months later...

Well I haven't given up just incase you thought I had,the Mrs is keeping me very busy at the moment working on the daughters house.

Women eh??,they just dont get the importance of building a Lanc do they??

The nacelles are all buttoned up and glued onto the wings,although I've fitted a Merlin into the port inner and taken off one cowling so you can see the "innards".

I've fitted the missing DF loof(scratch built from a bit of 15amp fuse wire)and the CDI's on top of the coaming,the turrets have had their bases painted and the greenhouse has had it's framework painted black.

I've just modified the tailwheel to an anti-shimmy type.I thought long and hard about how to do this,but in the end it was very,very simple.

Take the two halves and just scrape an angle onto the mating surfaces "tyre edge",join 'em up and then simply run around the groove you've created with a round rat tail file.

Finally,run around the tyre's periphery with a flat file to take off the rounded top edges and there you have it,a very easily made anti-shimmy tail wheel.

I promise I'll try and add some pictures this week,honest Guv.

Mark

• 2 months later...

At last!!!!!

Here we go.

A bit bright and glossy at the mo because decalling is progressing a pace.No turrets,undercart or airscrews yet fitted but they're built up and painted(apart from the u/c that is).

PaintedLancpics005.jpg

PaintedLancpics006.jpg

PaintedLancpics007.jpg

PaintedLancpics004.jpg

PaintedLancpics001.jpg

Weathering next once the decals are on and then a squirt of matt to seal everything in.

Mark

• 2 months later...

Thanks Mish.

She's a steadily on going project.I keep doing a bit hither and thither so here you go then,bit of a sneaky-beaky for you.

The main bits still aren't fixed together and the airscrews still not fitted because I really need to make the base before I go onto the airframe's final assembly.

Main wheels are Airfix numbers courtesy of my mate Ian Lanc's spares box,they came ready flattened and painted;) .

Nice one Ian.

Uncle Joe decals are courtesy of Ian's mate Gregers from the Unnofficial Airfix Modeller's Forum.

PaintedLancpics011.jpg

PaintedLancpics014.jpg

PaintedLancpics018.jpg

PaintedLancpics015.jpg

PaintedLancpics020.jpg

PaintedLancpics021.jpg

That's shallot for now.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

It still strikes me as weird to see a Lanc in grey plastic! My old 1:72 Airfix lanc I built as a kid was black, my old Tamiya 1:48 lanc is black... heresy! :lol:

Nice work :)

Thanks Mish.

She's a steadily on going project.I keep doing a bit hither and thither so here you go then,bit of a sneaky-beaky for you.

The main bits still aren't fixed together and the airscrews still not fitted because I really need to make the base before I go onto the airframe's final assembly.

Main wheels are Airfix numbers courtesy of my mate Ian Lanc's spares box,they came ready flattened and painted;) .

Nice one Ian.

Uncle Joe decals are courtesy of Ian's mate Gregers from the Unnofficial Airfix Modeller's Forum.

PaintedLancpics011.jpg

PaintedLancpics014.jpg

PaintedLancpics018.jpg

PaintedLancpics015.jpg

You really know your onions, Mark. Brillliant build; I hope my 4 turn outas good.

Tony :clif:

PaintedLancpics020.jpg

PaintedLancpics021.jpg

That's shallot for now.

Mark