Name of a maneuver?

wingslinger

Helpful people of BM... I'm sure that I heard a name for this type of maneuver:

Reach take off speed, gain some lift but keep nose pointed straight, tuck wheels in whilst remaining close to the deck... and then rotate at the end of the runway to disappear skywards...

Is there a name for that kinda thing (hooliganism doesn't count)....

Thanks

Martin

Reach take off speed, gain some lift but keep nose pointed straight, tuck wheels in whilst remaining close to the deck... and then rotate at the end of the runway to disappear skywards...

Thanks

Martin

Climb. :lol:

Kinda like what the lightnings used to do BEFORE the vertical rote... it's the kind of take off that looks more like the wheels were pulled up rather than the plane taking off... plane stays low on the tarmac for a while THEN pulls up...

M

Kinda like what the lightnings used to do BEFORE the vertical rote... it's the kind of take off that looks more like the wheels were pulled up rather than the plane taking off... plane stays low on the tarmac for a while THEN pulls up...

M

Buccs used to pull this maneuver regularly!

Nope, not a Chandelle, which is just a tight climbing turn and not really an aerobatic manoeuvre at all. There's no single name for the take off technique that you've described. It's just simply take off, low level acceleration then pull up into a vertical climb. Coupled with lots of noise it's always impressive to watch!

Tower: "Check heading"

Smug Lightning pilot: "Vertical"

I was doing some work in the tower at Binbrook many years ago when a Lightening pilot asked permission to "punch a hole in the clouds". The tower replied positively but added "those clouds are 5000 plus feet". The pilot came back with "60 seconds to impact!"

Thanks

Martin

Hows about Flash Git Martin?

Bex von :smartass:

I always thought it was the maximum climb.

As seen on this Raptor video. I think most of you have seen it but if you haven't it makes for one hell of a show

'' sit back and enjoy the show'' (in the guys voice) :analintruder:

http://www.airshowbuzz.com/videos/view.php?v=a090713b

Allways heard it being refered to as a 'rote' or rapid climb out........this airbus was clearly piloted by an ex Lightning pilot hankering for the old days.....

Feel sorry for the trolly dolly though!!!!.

John.

Edited by Fmk.6john

I always thought it was the maximum climb.

As seen on this Raptor video. I think most of you have seen it but if you haven't it makes for one hell of a show

'' sit back and enjoy the show'' (in the guys voice) :analintruder:

http://www.airshowbuzz.com/videos/view.php?v=a090713b

Still not as impressive as a Frightning - I mean they could climb much higher than that thing after take off........ :whistle::P:rofl:

Nope, not a Chandelle, which is just a tight climbing turn and not really an aerobatic manoeuvre at all. There's no single name for the take off technique that you've described. It's just simply take off, low level acceleration then pull up into a vertical climb. Coupled with lots of noise it's always impressive to watch!

I may misunderstand what you say, but chandelle is translated to candle in english, so I'm doubtful about a climbing turn.

You fly straight and level, full power, and then you pull on the stick for a vertical climb.

That's what I understand to be a chandelle.

But even if I'm a private pilot, I must admit that my experience in aerobatics is nil.

Merci Antoine... hadn't heard the phrase 'chandelle' before...

(Oddly enough I'm in Paris as I write this...)

M

I'm also in Paris!

;)

:pilot: I think the name for this maneauvre is a 'Tactical Takeoff', having done it a few times in the C130 Herc, it can be rather scary screaming along at ten feet above the runway, knowing that the undercart has been retracted, and then pull up into a steep climb and sharp turn. It is the opposite of a 'Khe Sahn' landing, which can be 'very' scary if you are stood on the flight deck watchng the ground coming up at you at a high rate of knots.

Robin.

I was doing some work in the tower at Binbrook many years ago when a Lightening pilot asked permission to "punch a hole in the clouds". The tower replied positively but added "those clouds are 5000 plus feet". The pilot came back with "60 seconds to impact!"

Happy days!

I lived on Binbrook in the 60's. I spent many an hour at the north end crash gates watching Frightnings going ballistic. In a tactical ascent, it was often quoted that they used a ton of fuel! Mixthe Lightnings with Canberras and Meteors......absolute heaven!

Happy days!

I lived on Binbrook in the 60's. I spent many an hour at the north end crash gates watching Frightnings going ballistic. In a tactical ascent, it was often quoted that they used a ton of fuel! Mixthe Lightnings with Canberras and Meteors......absolute heaven!

You really know how to make someone 1. Jealous and 2. :crying:

Rich, you are a lucky lucky did I say Lucky Barsteward :tease:

Ok Im proud of me Dad for being a Ground Pounder, but why couldnt the ol sod gone to play with aeroplanes instead :rofl:

Bex von Cheeky :cow6: Again

I was doing some work in the tower at Binbrook many years ago when a Lightening pilot asked permission to "punch a hole in the clouds". The tower replied positively but added "those clouds are 5000 plus feet". The pilot came back with "60 seconds to impact!..............

..............and 70 seconds till I run out of fuel" :lol:

I got to see the Raptor at the last Edwards air show and it is mighty impressive in the air, but my fave display is still an F-16 I saw at El Toro years ago, nothing looks cooler than a tail slide!

Any of you gits ever hear of a "Viking Departure"......Thats what they came up with for Eagles doing MaxPerfTO. :analintruder::analintruder:. It was clear the area immediately above the aerodrome, straight up and holeeeeeeeeeee shiite. as the guy in the back seat of D's and E's is going Oh Jeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzuuuuzz!!!!, And the guy up front has a shiite eating grin on his face.

Any of you gits ever hear of a "Viking Departure"......Thats what they came up with for Eagles doing MaxPerfTO. :analintruder::analintruder:. It was clear the area immediately above the aerodrome, straight up and holeeeeeeeeeee shiite. as the guy in the back seat of D's and E's is going Oh Jeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzuuuuzz!!!!, And the guy up front has a shiite eating grin on his face.

Good one Clif :rofl:

Bexy