Chinooks over Chelmsford

gunpowder17

Anyone have any idea about Chinook ops over South Woodham Ferrers , Chelmsford. We have what we call "radar hill", I believe it may be owned by Marconi. The chinooks circle around for a bit and ive seen them land there too. There were here again tonight. It would be interesting to know what goes on!

Any ideas anyone?

Starting to see them on a regular basis around my area (Dartford Bridge). Always at night though. They do a few circuits then head off in a northerly direction? I've even seen them land at a field at the back of Darenth Valley Hospital! The last time i saw this sort of activity was just before we went into Afghanistan, so who knows. I wonder if they are training for night drops.

They come over here quite a lot.

I was talking to some of Chinook aircrew at one of the air displays last year: apparently they fly down the Thames, then turn left and cross Essex before operating in the military training areas in Suffolk (near Thetford IIRC)

Once upon a time we saw nine flying in trail formation: they certainly weren't sneaking up on anyone quietly.

As i type this i've got 2 chinooks doing circuits around the bridge again. The only thing that is different, is that the first one is flying around with all lights totally off whilst been followed by a second with only the tail lights!

As i type this i've got 2 chinooks doing circuits around the bridge again. The only thing that is different, is that the first one is flying around with all lights totally off whilst been followed by a second with only the tail lights!

Must be the same ones because one's just flown over here, heading away from Gunpowder and back towards you.

Could be Marconi's at East Hanningfield - there is some kind of antennae there I know, and as you know that's just up the road.

Back in 1990 I stood in the centre of Chelmsford and watched/listened to an RAF Phantom circling over the same area - with full afterburner!! Got itself into the Chronical that week after many complaints. RAF statement said it was carrying out undisclosed testing.

Must be the same ones because one's just flown over here, heading away from Gunpowder and back towards you.

Yup 11.05 they left here one with lights one without. Its funny but at night when theres no lights its a bit eerie!

There was 2 Typhoons circling around in the summer last year too.

Edited by gunpowder17

Starting to see them on a regular basis around my area (Dartford Bridge). Always at night though. They do a few circuits then head off in a northerly direction? I've even seen them land at a field at the back of Darenth Valley Hospital! The last time i saw this sort of activity was just before we went into Afghanistan, so who knows. I wonder if they are training for night drops.

I work down on crossways... see loads during the day, chinooks & apaches very regularly

Abit late now, but it's always worth checking the RAF Odiham website as they regularly update the Chinook flying info.

Even though I've been at uni for the last few months, it's been ages since I saw anything military over Chelmsford!

Had a look last week to see if I could find a website for Odiham but had no joy but I've got a day off tomorrow so I might see what I can find.

My most memorable military sighting in Chelmsford was a 13 Squadron Tornado slow flying over the town centre; I was on the top floor of the college at the time and was almost eyeball-to-eyeball with the crew.

Edited by Richard E