Aviation sites and Model Shops onthe Isle of Wight

Silver Fox

I,m heading to the IOW in August with the family and need to get some planning done, so the title says it all are there any interesting sites, such as remains of the radar at Ventnor, active airfield such as Bembridge or model shops we can just happen to pass?

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Britten-Norman have some preserved airframes, at Bembridge, but you need prior permission.

Scrap dealers Cliftongrade Ltd. have an FG1 cockpit, in Cowes.

Airframe Assemblies, at Sandown Aerodrome (again, you'll need prior permission) are leading lights in restoration work, especially on Spitfires (there's a Hurricane IIB wreck, from Russia, stored, too.)

Edgar

Britten-Norman have some preserved airframes, at Bembridge, but you need prior permission.

Scrap dealers Cliftongrade Ltd. have an FG1 cockpit, in Cowes.

Airframe Assemblies, at Sandown Aerodrome (again, you'll need prior permission) are leading lights in restoration work, especially on Spitfires (there's a Hurricane IIB wreck, from Russia, stored, too.)

Edgar

Thanks for the info Edgar, I 'll have to look at getting to Bembridge.

I should have added that there'll be a new edition of "Wrecks & Relics," this year, and it's usually published May/June time. It'll be well worth getting a copy, then you'll be able to see the latest news.

Edgar

• 6 months later...

Ok, so we went and this is what I found.

Model Shops; one small part of the ToyMaster in Sandown. A reasonably eclectic selection of old and new ( Revell Gannet )with a goodish supply of paints etc. Nothing to write home about but not bad compared with my local town. We also passed a model shop in Newport but didn't stop, as it was after 6.

IOW Airport near Sandown; good viewing from the boundary road, some interesting types like a Tigher Moth, a very early Cessna and an Islander.

Bembridge; Six Islanders on the parking area, two ex-Belgian Air Force. A Steerman and a Pilatus Turbo Porter on the day I was there. A Westland Scout called in later in the week. Good viewing from the flying club better still a pub with a car park overlooking the field. And the wife drove home. Result. :thumbsup:

• 6 years later...

Is any of the model shop information still relevant? I'll be heading there in a couple of weeks.

ToyMaster in Sandown closed a few years ago now sadly. There's a toy/model shop in Newport that has a good selection of kits. Mainly Tamiya, Revell and Airfix.

There's a ToyMaster in Ryde with a smaller selection of The same kit manufacturer's.

Then there's The Sports Shop in Shanklin with a good selection again of the same manufacturer's. Don't get confused with the ToyMaster across the street, same owners but ones a toy shop the other a sports shop which curiously sells model kits.

Don't quote me on it but I think Bembridge airport closed down aswell.

I don't live on the island but I've been going there every year for around 20 years now. Plus I get discounted ferry travel and free travel on there bus network.

Hope this helps

If you want a nice walk you can go up to Ventnor radar station and look out over the sea. You can imagine being the chap on the bicycle in the movie Battle of Britain when the Stukas turn up.

There's also a WW1 flying boat station near the beach at Bembridge that makes for another nice walk.

If you want a nice walk you can go up to Ventnor radar station and look out over the sea. You can imagine being the chap on the bicycle in the movie Battle of Britain when the Stukas turn up.

There's also a WW1 flying boat station near the beach at Bembridge that makes for another nice walk.

Just the concrete bases left from the Chain Home masts though.

• 4 months later...

Sad news guys. The Toy / Model shop in Newport is closing. Popped in today to find 20% off everything. The only thing left of interest was a 1/32 Revell Phantom which I passed up as I already have 2. Saying it's the way the town is changing that after 26 years it's time to close. Sad and wish them all the luck with the future.

• 2 months later...

Sad news guys. The Toy / Model shop in Newport is closing. Popped in today to find 20% off everything. The only thing left of interest was a 1/32 Revell Phantom which I passed up as I already have 2. Saying it's the way the town is changing that after 26 years it's time to close. Sad and wish them all the luck with the future.

Yep I found that out in august when I went over with my daughter. No model kits left at that time, only a few puzzles and toys.

That leaves only Ryde and Shanklins ToyMaster shops left on the island to buy model kits and both of those mainly stock just Airfix and Revell plus there associated paints etc.

I miss being a 10 year old in the Sandown ToyMaster. Those days are long gone though.