RAF to borrow RC-135s?

Dave Fleming

Cant we do anything right these days? Our airframes are getting their fatigue indexes blown through the roof because of 2 certain iffy deployments (trying to avoid another politcal row :whistle: ) We retire the best recce aircraft in the world without designing a proper replacement, and now this, cant be bothered to repair one of the other best pieces of equipment we have coz its costs too much and we end up even more reliant on the USA (no offence to our US Brothers intended). This country has gone totally down the bog :toilet::wall::angrysoapbox.sml: Ok Im gonna stop here, dont wanna upset the Boss.

Bex von GrumpyKnickersAgain

have heard a related rumour that the AAC may get some RC-12's for afghan ops.

but like the RC-135's [and i would've thought that all the USAF ones were spoken for anyway] we will see.

The Beech purchase was confirmed by the MOD last week (after the aircraft arrived in the Uk last year!!)

They are not being delivered as RC-12, but as Beech 350s, and being fitted out with mission systems in the UK

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/...rveillance.html

Rumoured to be some chest beating about who will actually operate them - AAC or RAF

Edited by Dave Fleming

And to think i`m joining the circus performance which is refered to as the RAF :angrysoapbox.sml:

It's not exactly the RAF's fault if the "Government" deploy them to commitments without the resources needed to carry out the job properly. The clowns are the politicians.....

Keef

I totally agree but it really gets me as it makes our armed forces look like a bunch of amateurs!

I think that you'll find they're still pretty much respected as professionals by other nation's combatants that they operate alongside. After all they're also likely to be 'governed' by the real rank amateurs - yup, back to politicians. The root of all evil......!!!

The clue with the Sentinel is it's other name - ASTOR - Airborne STand Off Radar. Battlefield picture stuff in its simplest terms. The Nimrod R1's comms and ELINT role is very different.

I see! Thank you for the info!

Look on the bright side - the alternative to using an RC-135? Probably nothing.

Or, the even brighter side - the politicians, just once, make good on their commitments & pay to have the Nimrods properly refurbished. Nah, far too radical, you're right, there is only one alternative......