If you're one of the gradually reducing number of folks that aren't currently receiving notifications to topics you've subscribed to, or PMs you're receiving, first check you've got the correct address in your profile, then drop in and post your experience in this thread, remembering to tell us your email provider's details, which is the part after the @ in your email address.
Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'TFX'.
Found 2 results
Navy Bird posted a topic in Ready for Inspection - AircraftHi mates, Finally, I have an F-111B in my collection! This is a conversion of the 1:72 Hasegawa F-111C/G kit, with quite a few modifications necessary to represent F-111B BuNo 151972 as she appeared during Phoenix missile testing at Hughes Aircraft. As I'm sure you're aware, the F-111B was an attempt to develop a version of the USAF F-111 "TFX" to meet the US Navy's fleet defense requirement. If you don't know the story, I suggest you start here on the Tailhook Topics blog, maintained by @Tailspin Turtle. Tommy also literally wrote the book on the F-111B, which I've been keeping under my pillow each night, and who also was a tremendous help to me during this project. Thanks Tommy! Only seven F-111Bs were built, and they differed from each other in many ways. The subject of my model also differed significantly from the Australian F-111C on which I based the conversion. Nevertheless, it was probably the easiest way to do it. Here is my usual executive summary (skip to the pictures if you don't want to read all this clag!) Project: Grumman/General Dynamics F-111B Kits: Hasegawa F-111C/G R.A.A.F. (kit number 00952) & Revell F-111 TFX (kit number H-208) Scale: 1:72 (really, is there any other?) Decals: Representing 151972 during Phoenix missile testing at Hughes. Phoenix Missile Testing logo and BuNo on vertical tail created in CorelDraw and printed on Canon ink jet printer. Stencils from Microscale 72-452 F-111 Stencil Data. National insignia, canopy seals, all red stripes, and other miscellaneous markings from the Island of Misfit Stickers Photoetch: Eduard set 88175, and an occasional bit from the Drawer of Fiddly Stuff Resin: Pavla S 72086 Escapac 1C-6 Ejection Seats; Pete's Hangar PHD 72001 F-111B Conversion Set Paint: Gunze H315 FS36440 Light Gull Gray, H11 Flat White, H90 Clear Red, H94 Clear Green, H12 Flat Black, H13 Flat Red, H77 Tire Black; Alclad 101 Aluminum, 111 Magnesium, 112 Steel, 314 Klear Kote Flat Improvements/Corrections Modified cockpit to include Escapac ejection seats (151972 did not have an ejection capsule) Replaced kit nose with resin replacement from Pete's Hangar set (which needed to be extensively reshaped) Modified kit intakes to represent the early translating cowl type in the open position; replaced kit "kinked" intake ramps with straight ones made from sheet styrene Detailed cockpit with Eduard photoetched instrument panel and seat harnesses Filled in triangular vents on fuselage spine and used decals to represent the smaller vents on 151972 Added vent covers made from sheet styrene immediately below the wing glove Shortened wing slats due to absence of rotating glove on 151972 Modified main gear door and scratch built deployment mechanism to represent early type Added sculpted resin motion picture camera housing on top of vertical fin Replaced fuselage boat tail with knife edge version from old Revell kit Replaced blunt fuselage extension fairings with pointed ones from old Revell kit Modified resin tail hook fairing from Pete's Hangar conversion set and scratch built arresting hook Added numerous telemetry antennae used by Hughes Modified nose of Phoenix missile from Hasegawa Weapons Set; pylon from Hasegawa F-18 Build thread: Part 1 and Part 2 Pictures! First, here is what she really looked like (this is called "leading the witness"): Cheers, Bill
Stew Dapple posted a topic in Ready for Inspection - AircraftHello gents, Here are my two Airfix Beaufighters from the recently-released new-tool kit; the first uses one of the kit-supplied markings schemes and the second uses markings from one of the Cutting Edge transfer sets which are, I think, long out of print. The kits went together extremely well; I used the Eduard masking set purely because I am lazy and will almost always take the path of least resistance even if it means shelling out several pounds for some pre-cut pieces of masking tape. The aircraft were painted in Phoenix Precision Paints Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky, the invasion stripes were painted in various acrylic shades of light and dark grey to give a worn appearance. As the schemes were monocolour on the upper and lower surfaces I tried pre-shading the model and I'm quite pleased with how that came out (though it isn't really noticeable unless you know it is there) and I think it was probably worth the effort and the time it took. Anyway here are the models; first NE829 PLoJ of 144 Squadron RAF, which served in the famous Banff Strike Wing based in Aberdeenshire: ... and the second, NE548, UBoE of 455 Squadron RAAF which flew as part of the ANZAC Strike Wing based at RAF Langham in Norfolk from April 1944 before moving to RAF Dallachy in Aberdeenshire in October 1944: The first kit was built OOB and the second almost so, apart from the markings and the replacement of the 60lb rocket heads with the solid-shot semi-armour-piercing 25lb heads from a Tamiya Mosquito - I have read that the 60lb R/Ps were used for flak suppression so the kit-supplied ones are not necessarily incorrect but the 25lb version were more commonly used for anti-shipping raids. I also filled the cannon-ports on both aircraft and painted them with WEM Dull Roundel Red to represent the doped-fabric covers often seen on Beaus - mine representing the 'tidy' end of the scale, not all were so neatly applied... ... and finally, if you will permit me the indulgence, this is how I intended them to be displayed: