Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

202 Excellent

About markleecarter

  • Rank
    New Member
  1. 1:147 HMS Surprise

    Superb work! Very inspiring. Looking forward to the next update.
  2. HMS Victory Revell 1:225

    Anyone who has made this kit before will know that while it is in many ways a lovely kit, for some silly reason someone decided it would be a good idea to mould loads of coils of rope on the deck. Sanding them off would require re-scribing the deck lines and I'm not sure this would really work. So I decided instead to make the deck from some grooved plastic card I already had. Technically the planks are too wide but they match the original revel ones fairly closely so I think it will be ok: The skid beams are simply cut from the original deck.
  3. HMS Victory Revell 1:225

    Oh and here his is with the new lettering on the stern. It's just a fraction smaller and more spaced out than the previous one which matches the real thing a little bit better I think.
  4. HMS Victory Revell 1:225

    Lego guy has indeed eaten all his spinach which has given him the energy to make a start on the yellow and black! Vallejo yellow ochre very lightly washed with vallejo buff and Revell tar black for the black bits.
  5. Some years ago I started a build of this but after a dramatic tumble from the shelf I abandoned the whole thing. Now however, with a brand new purchase of the kit (plus a good few spares from the old build) I am all ready to start again. First of all I decided to go for the decoration of the stern. I had to get myself a size 20/0 brush and an optivisor but I am quite pleased with the results so far. 20171022_223634 by markleecarter, on Flickr I am going to redo the lettering however but I think this shows just how good the detailing is on this little model. I did have to sand off the giant bosses where the lanterns attach and you can still make them out a bit but in real life, and once the lanterns are attached it shouldn't show up too much.
  6. 1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

    It really is all amazing and those pedals are just gorgeous. At the risk of appearing over critical, while I think the lap belts are really really really good, I do agree that the harness is not as strong as the other elements and I think it may be the shoulder straps - in particular the adjustment buckles just don't look as convincing. Every other element in the build is just so utterly believable but I'm just not sure those buckles are quite the right scale or something. I really hope you don't mind me commenting about it but it's only because you mentioned that you weren't entirely satisfied yourself!
  7. 1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

    It's just wonderful.
  8. RAF RE8, Airfix, 1:72 - FINISHED!

  9. Airfix 1:72 BE2c

    And here it is in situ.
  10. Airfix 1:72 BE2c

    Little tiny update after not much movement.I have made the control stick and rudder pedals using a combination of wire, micro drill bits, a cut down sewing needle and a spare cog from an old photoetch fret.
  11. RAF RE8, Airfix, 1:72 - FINISHED!

    It was the wings that ultimately stalled my RE8 build. One thing I was getting quite far with however was something I read somewhere about embossing the underside of thin plastic sheet with a ball point pen and gluing that to the wing. I couldn't get it glued down quite to my satisfaction but the look of the ribs is really quite effective. Here is an excellent example of the effect from a quick google image search: http://www.network54.com/Forum/644810/thread/1437573073/last-1437701390/(View+All+Messages+in+this+Thread) Hope you come up with something that pleases you - I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished!
  12. RAF RE8, Airfix, 1:72 - FINISHED!

    Looking very nice!
  13. Airfix 1:72 BE2c

    The trouble with thinning the fuselage sides is that the instrument panels don't fit any more! So after looking at too many wwi cockpits I decided to go for one with an 'Elliot Bros' panel which seems to be an additional board on top of the panel itself. It's very small but I quite enjoyed making it.