This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Finchley Bantam

Members
  • Content count

    13
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

111 Excellent

About Finchley Bantam

  • Rank
    Newbie
  • Birthday

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    London

Recent Profile Visitors

65 profile views
  1. Thanks. If there's crew on the sprue I'll put them in - although in this case the pilot was literally legless. (His legs finished where the instrument panel began).
  2. Oh I hope they do! It's been 45 years since the last one...
  3. I feel your pain! It was all going quite well until I messed up the undercarriage legs. Doesn't show too badly on the photos but they aren't the best...
  4. 1/72 Airfix Mosquito. I wouldn't normally build anything of this vintage (nice new re-boxing but early 70's plastic inside), but as I received it as a gift it would have been rude not to! I found it a quite challenging build - gappy fits, lots of filling and sanding, raised panel lines, victorian water tank like riveting and let's not mention the undercarriage. Also the fuselage is twisted right along it's axis, so the tail section doesn't sit vertically. I went for the Australian silver scheme, which I think accentuates the aircraft's graceful curves and is more interesting/unusual than the all black night fighter and RAF camo options which were also available. I'm reasonable happy with the results, considering the limitations of the kit, but the main thing is that I enjoyed building it (apart from the undercarriage!)
  5. Thanks to you all for your encouraging comments and likes. The kit went together beautifully, letting me concentrate on the tricker task of painting it. One thing worth mentioning is the NMF. I was initially a bit disappointed with the Humbrol Metalcote which didn't buff up as shiny as I'd hoped. But once under a coat of varnish it looked better - like a slightly tarnished aluminium giving it a used look which helped with weathering. I doubt the USAAF spent much time polishing their aircraft during WW2! Cheers guys.
  6. Here's my one and probably only model of 2016. Tamiya's wonderful Mustang with Kits World's decal sheet of Lt. Abner's P-51D "Daisy Mae". The original never carried invasion stripes but as I'd never painted any before I couldn't resist adding them! Enjoyed every minute of this one. Painted with Humbrol Metalcote and Halford's finest car paint rattlecans!
  7. That looks amazing! Tempted to give the foil technique a go myself - test my patience!
  8. Thanks for the comments about the finish. I used Vallejo Model Colour for the first time, a couple of coats straight out of the bottle. It dries quickly and very smoothly without brush marks. With a coat of Vallejo satin varnish on top it looks great. I'd definitely recommend it to brush painters out there who are still searching for the perfect acrylic.
  9. Thanks for your kind comments - as far as the position of the control surfaces are concerned I copied the positions from this photo I took at Duxford a few years ago: I agree though looking at it once it's finished - elevators down would have been more pleasing to the eye... Cheers!
  10. Well covered subject matter - but my first 1/48 in a long time. Brush painted with Vallejo Model Colour, which is the best I've come across so far. Pretty happy with the results - although I lost the undercarriage suspension arm to the carpet monster when removing it from the sprue - so they didn't go on. Also just noticed those massive ejector pin marks on the access door! All OOB except for Eduard Zoom cockpit interior - it's the first time I've used PE - gosh some of those bits of metal are microscopic! Thanks for looking.
  11. This little Airfix kit went together pretty nicely. From the off I gave myself free-reign with the camo and markings as I didn't fancy attempting the mottled camo with a paint brush. Not one for you guys who like authenticity! The Airfix decals provided were pretty meagre so I bought some Eaglecals, the yellow flash inspired me to give it a kind of splinter scheme. Added the badge and flying skeleton from some left over decals from my last build. I used Vallejo satin varnish for the first time, which gives a great finish. All in all reasonably happy with the outcome, I think it looks pretty mean!
  12. Thanks for the comments. I hadn't even noticed the openings on the exhausts. Thanks for the tip, I'll paint them in if I can find a small enough brush!
  13. Hello everyone, My son recently bought me an Airfix 1:72 Mark I Spitfire for my birthday and after a 30 year hiatus from modelling I gave it go. I really enjoyed the build but I wasn't that happy with the results and thought I could do better. Having learnt from my mistakes with the Spitfire, I decided to build it's German adversary, the Bf109. I went for the Tamiya kit, which although a few quid more than the rest, went together beautifully. I'm happier with this build, although the photos really magnify the problems! The finished model is pretty small, measuring only 125mm. It's hand brushed with Citadel acrylics and washed with really thinned down oil paint, black for the upper surfaces and Prussian blue over the light blue. I went a bit off-plan with the colour scheme as I couldn't resist painting the nose and rudder in yellow. I'm not too worried about authenticity, for me it's more about how it looks. My main criticism with this one is the bumpiness of the paint finish, I'll use aerosols next time. For my next project, I fancy something bigger. Maybe the Airfix Dornier 17. Thanks for looking!