Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Whirly

Members
  • Content count

    268
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

208 Excellent

About Whirly

  • Rank
    Established Member
  • Birthday 23/02/70

Contact Methods

  • ICQ
    0

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Milan, Italy

Recent Profile Visitors

1,387 profile views
  1. Hi Willie, I sent them a message through their facebook page, thank you for your hint. Hope I did it right since I'm not a FB fan... Rich, I'll let you know if I eventually get something.
  2. Hello, I'm attempting a conversion of the excellent Emhar Bedford OLBD to a restored vehicle, also depicted by a very good walkaround in this same site: I was wondering if anyone happened to have any interior shots of the cargo van. I haven't decided yet if I want to scratchbuild the interior too, but I would appreciate any available view also to get a better reproduction of the modified chassis and lower panels. Thanks in advance Fabio
  3. Mirage GB chat

    Thank you Jabba for your feedback! So I will keep the kit legs with just a bit of detailing added. I have to finish another model in a few days for a club display, after that I will open a new thread for my entry.
  4. Mirage GB chat

    Hello, last evening I gave a look to my Heller Mirage 5BA thinking about a quick build but was somewhat disillusioned by the main u/c legs: they are really very very thin, to the point of doubting they will bear the finished model. Anyone have some experience of how much they will resist or can suggest replacements? TIA Fabio
  5. Radial Engines Rock GB Chat

    Hi, would a Whirlwind (helo) qualify? A radial engine is in there but not actually visibile.. Cheers Fabio
  6. Despite all my best intentions I made little progress before the deadline: here it is in its current state with all joints finished and standing on the outrigger wheels: I'm really sorry for this failure but would like to keep working on until completion, is this allowed in the current thread or it's better to open a new one in the WIP section? My biggest congratulations to all the succeeding builders and to the moderators for their unlimited support, it has been a real pleasure! Best regards Fabio
  7. And this is all for now: it was time to treat all the joints and this will require some time given the natural metal finish.
  8. I told you that this plastic is brittle? Well, this is what happened when I tried to correct the tailplane squareness after superglue had started to cure... Ok, no real disaster, only some additional filling and rescribing to do and this how the repair came out: You can see also that I installed a brass rod going right through the fuselage to support the massive front spinner.
  9. Now came the trickiest part, installing the cruciform tail. This involves a threefold risk since you can fail to align the "tailpanes" longitudinally, miss their squareness when seen from the front or behind and, worst of all, have the airframe lean on one side when placed on its tail! I proceeded with a mixed approach of hi-tech instruments and Mk1 eyeball to locate the first tailplane, then it was a matter of checking, re-cheking and checking again before adding the other three with metal pins, superglue and Tamiya extra-thin cement to obtain the strongest possible bond.
  10. The front ventral intake was installed: I'd have liked to hollow out the aperture but I feared a disaster given the brittle palstic and narrow surface so I left it as it is.
  11. More work on the underside: the exhaust plate was replaced with a thin and concave plasticard scrap, then I attached the exhaust lip. Very little of this area can be seen in the available images and I will trust the dark metal shade prevailing to hide any mistake
  12. Just a note about the tanks position: Pegasus have you install them with a "convergent" attitude which seems a mistake inferred by the wide angle images of the real aircraft. You can see quite the same effect in my posted image below but I actually trimmed the wingtips to obtain perfectly parallel surfaces: leaving them as they are seemed to me very nonsense from an aerodynamical standpoint.
  13. First, I closed the fuselage after locating the modified B-57 front cockpit. I will deal with the details later since the aperture is wide open and I plan much work on the airframe. Next I located the correct position for the wingtip tanks (more or less) and pencilled some marks before drilling out holes for some reinforcing metal pins: Here you can see both tanks in place and the moderate filling on the fuselage junction
  14. Hello, I'm back after a very long stop due to unpredictable changes in my job schedule and more than expected family commitments. Now I should have some free time and the extra week is a real boon: I had already considered this build a failure within the original deadline but I hope to make substantial progress before next monday. A sincere thank you to TonyTiger66 and SleeperService for their encouragement and appreciative words, I will try to be up to your expectation!
  15. Quoting from Wikipedia: "test serials are used to externally identify aircraft flown within the United Kingdom without a full Certificate of Airworthiness. They can be used for testing experimental and prototype aircraft or modifications, pre-delivery flights for foreign customers and are sometimes referred to as "B" class markings". Excellent model by the way and finished in record time too!
×